Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question on Mash Temp  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Question on Mash Temp
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 04:45:04 pm »
I use a 10gal Rubbermaid "Home Depot" mash tun.  I add my strike water into a room temp cooler and don't preheat.  My strike water temp is usually 18-20F higher to account for heat loss for desired mash temp.  My 2 cents.

Offline ScottBeh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 03:42:56 am »
With some effort you can dial in your temps using the methods below. Do it once and can set & forget.  Just weigh your tun and water accurately and calibrate your thermometers beforehand

Promash
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=32180

Beersmith
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9208.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 05:12:48 pm »
Im a BIAB guy as well and have a question. I have a probe that doesn't go into the mash itself rather the water around my bag it shouldn't make a difference right? I don't know why but with my set up im constantly fighting temp loss in a heated garage!! I even tried wrapping the kettle with no measurable difference so i figure i will just hit the burner every 15 min or so (on low) and I have the bag tied to one of the kettle handles so it doesn't hit the bottom and melt. Im always in the 148 to 155 range.
Jimmykx250

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 06:10:48 am »
Im a BIAB guy as well and have a question. I have a probe that doesn't go into the mash itself rather the water around my bag it shouldn't make a difference right? I don't know why but with my set up im constantly fighting temp loss in a heated garage!! I even tried wrapping the kettle with no measurable difference so i figure i will just hit the burner every 15 min or so (on low) and I have the bag tied to one of the kettle handles so it doesn't hit the bottom and melt. Im always in the 148 to 155 range.
I've always had some concerns that direct heating a kettle like that could raise the temp in the bottom of the kettle high enough to denature some enzymes. That's why I hold my BIAB mash in a cooler - no need to heat to maintain temps. If you're going to fire up your burner I'd be sure to stir constantly until the temp equalizes.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer