Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SS BrewTech Brew Bucket Conical Fermenter  (Read 2446 times)

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
SS BrewTech Brew Bucket Conical Fermenter
« on: October 18, 2014, 07:17:15 pm »
I made a short video this afternoon highlighting my latest upgrade which is the Ss Brewing Technologies "Brew Bucket" stainless steel conical fermenter.  Here's a link to the video:

http://youtu.be/TeXG4squGqg

As I continue to upgrade some of my homebrewing equipment, I decided to pick up this stainless steel "Brew Bucket" conical fermenter from Ss Brewing Technologies.  I have fermented beers in plastic buckets as well as plastic and glass carboys.  While each of those works, I think I'm going to prefer the ease of use I will get from this conical stainless steel fermenter.  This is the first of two that I plan to add to my brewery.  I want a second one to use as a secondary fermenter!

I purchased this directly from SS BrewTech:

http://www.ssbrewtech.com

I paid $225.00 and got free shipping directly from the manufacturer.  I ordered this on October 8 and it arrived on October 14, so it took about 5 business days.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: SS BrewTech Brew Bucket Conical Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:01:28 am »
Enjoyed watching your video

It looked like you installed the ball valve with both o-rings on the outside.  I think you are supposed to install it with one on the outside and one on the inside (at least that is what the instructions that came with mine seemed to indicate).
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:01:33 am »
Enjoyed watching your video

It looked like you installed the ball valve with both o-rings on the outside.  I think you are supposed to install it with one on the outside and one on the inside (at least that is what the instructions that came with mine seemed to indicate).

I noticed that after I put the video together... oddly enough it still held water :)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
What is the biggest pro for using this vs a plastic bucket-style fermenter? 

Offline joe_feist

• Assistant Brewer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 04:00:19 pm »
I like that. Nice video, too. Interested in hearing about your first brew day. Good luck with the lager.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Offline jmsetzler

• Cellarman
    • Beer Before Noon
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »
What is the biggest pro for using this vs a plastic bucket-style fermenter?

In the greater scheme of things there is no huge difference.  I like the stainless steel because it's easier to clean and sanitize.  The conical shape on this fermenter minimizes contact with the trub, but that's not a huge deal either since I rack to secondary on most of my ferments.  This particular fermenter is a lot easier to get the lid on and off than the plastic buckets.  Since I have also put together a chest freezer with a temp controller for fermentation control, the stainless steel will cool more efficiently than plastic, so it's a bonus in that environment. 

Whether or not those 'pros' are worth the price in this case is up to the buyer.  Will this device make a measurable difference in my end product?  Probably not.  But since homebrewing is a hobby for me, having nicer equipment makes it a bit more fun for me :)