Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Frustrations  (Read 5557 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewing Frustrations
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 01:01:54 pm »
I see the big appeal of being able to mash and boil in the same pot. I also have two different Cheap and Easy coolers to mash in, so I don't think I would try it. I'm sure it seems easy to someone who's only done extract with steeped grains.

I see the "one pot" thing often put forth as a reason for BIAB.   But as far as I can figure out, that means you're doing no sparge.  You can do no sparge with a cooler, too, and only use one Pot.  Although you do have the mash tun to add in.  But for either method, if you want to sparge you'll need another pot.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 01:14:52 pm »

But for either method, if you want to sparge you'll need another pot.

Or buckets.

The big appeal to me is for small batches. I already have a 45 and 70 quart denny-tuns and wanted to avoid adding a third 12-16 quart for 1-2.5 gallon stove top batches. Sadly, I find myself wanting to add the third cooler after a handful of BIAB. Nothing majorly wrong with it m, just really like the results of batch sparging.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 01:33:21 pm »
Don't get frustrated brother. Just figure out what the issue(s) were and fix them for the next brew.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 01:39:17 pm »

But for either method, if you want to sparge you'll need another pot.

Or buckets.

The big appeal to me is for small batches. I already have a 45 and 70 quart denny-tuns and wanted to avoid adding a third 12-16 quart for 1-2.5 gallon stove top batches. Sadly, I find myself wanting to add the third cooler after a handful of BIAB. Nothing majorly wrong with it m, just really like the results of batch sparging.

I agree, it's a very viable method for small batches indoors.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »
Don't get frustrated brother. Just figure out what the issue(s) were and fix them for the next brew.

This^^^^.  A friend has told me that the most valuable brewing advice I ever gave him was "so you screwed up...you're not an idiot.  Deal with it!"

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 01:47:32 pm »
Since there is no sparge on a BIAB set up you will be extracting a lot of beta-glucans which can affect head retention and cause clarity issues.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 01:48:42 pm »

This^^^^.  A friend has told me that the most valuable brewing advice I ever gave him was "so you screwed up...you're not an idiot.  Deal with it!"

^^^^^ That is so true, Denny. Keith's post about cursing like crazy and throwing the pot in the woods reminded me of stories of my own like that. Pitching too warm, forgetting hops, crappy pH, etc. Drinking while I brewed didn't help back then, either. The best learning for me came from screwing up, getting pissed, and being determined not to do it again.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 03:04:15 pm »
Thanks for all of the help and words of advice.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 03:19:50 pm »
Don't give up! I stop brewing during the warm months of the year, which was May til a couple of weeks ago this year. I've been brewing all grain for a few years, and it always takes a couple of batches to get back in the swing of things. You are still gaining experience and figuring out your system. That is fine! You'll figure it out. And then figure it out some more!
Kyle M.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 05:16:31 pm »
Get a system ironed out and it will become pretty easy. Brewing is a craft, and it takes time to craft your process. And unless you buy a prefabbed set up you are simply going to have to iron out the kinks. Settle on a method (I really think you can't go wrong with denny's batch sparge method out of a converted cooler) and concentrate on crafting great beer and refining your process.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 06:32:29 pm »
At least its not golf. Even if its frustrating at times at least you end up with beer. right now I'm doing batch sparge for larger batches and starting to do biab for smaller batches so I can brew more often. Decide what's best for you and stick with one method for a bit. Eventually certain parts become routine and it becomes fun.Its also fine to do extract batches and dial in your fermentation, hop additions, and adjuncts before tackling all grain. You can make really good beer that way.  I think the key for you ( and all of us) is to learn to be curious and enjoy the process and not get too attached to each beer being right the first time or for it to go a certain way.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
Brewing should be like sex. Think about it anytime you're not thinking about something more important. Its easy. Its never perfect though you're always looking for perfection. There's always someone with a bigger mash paddle, but who cares as long as yours is getting wet.

Offline Stevie

Brewing Frustrations
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »
Brewing should be like sex. Think about it anytime you're not thinking about something more important. Its easy. Its never perfect though you're always looking for perfection. There's always someone with a bigger mash paddle, but who cares as long as yours is getting wet.

Funny. I just used that analogy the other day regarding Ebola. I basically said study and prepare all you want, first time it happens will be messy, confusing, and nobody will be happy.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 07:16:13 pm »
Im saving my ebola for that special someone

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2014, 08:02:46 pm »

LMAO. I like a good analogy.
Jon H.