Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is Wet Hopping BS?  (Read 11822 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Is Wet Hopping BS?
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2014, 05:03:49 pm »
Burp.....I just drank some fresh hopped ale at the local tavern, and it was dee-licious!

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:41 am »
I've done two wet-hopped harvest ales and they showed some grassiness, but not so much that they weren't enjoyable - I just don't want all my beers having that amount of grassiness.

This year I did a 48 hour dry time on my harvest ale hops and it goes into the kegerator within a few days so I should be sampling it in a week or two. The sample pulled during keg racking was very good and did not show any grassiness, but I'll be dry hopping in keg so it's gonna change (hopefully for the better) :D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2014, 09:20:49 am »
Founders Harvest is grassy this year, but Mrs. R. liked it.

Arcadia Cannonball Gold was not grassy and we both liked it. Had it at the production brewery in Kalamazoo, and we tasted 3 versions, with wet hops from 3 small farms. The one from Hop Head Farms in Hickory Corners near Kalamazoo was the one we liked best.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2014, 11:26:48 am »

did not like this one - first year having it, not impressed.  would have much rather just purchased a six of Centennial.

I personally love the Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2014, 07:58:12 am »

Arcadia Cannonball Gold was not grassy and we both liked it. Had it at the production brewery in Kalamazoo, and we tasted 3 versions, with wet hops from 3 small farms. The one from Hop Head Farms in Hickory Corners near Kalamazoo was the one we liked best.

Jeff, have you tried the wet hopped ale from 51 North Brewery in Lake Orion? I thought it was very good; not grassy at all.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2014, 08:05:08 am »
Three Floyds Broo Doo is a very good wet hopped ale. Like many of their seasonal/special releases it can be hard to find before it's gone, though.
Jon H.

Offline archstanton

• Cellarman
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2014, 09:26:16 am »
I have had some good ones and bad ones over the years just like any other beer.  My understanding is that there are flavors unique to the hops when they are wet that are not there once the hops have been dried. So the idea is to produce something different from what you will normally get from the hops.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2014, 09:41:53 am »
I have had some good ones and bad ones over the years just like any other beer.  My understanding is that there are flavors unique to the hops when they are wet that are not there once the hops have been dried. So the idea is to produce something different from what you will normally get from the hops.
There are also flavors that are not there in the fresh/wet hops that develop with drying, ageing, and the associated oxidation.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2014, 06:39:27 pm »

Jeff, have you tried the wet hopped ale from 51 North Brewery in Lake Orion? I thought it was very good; not grassy at all.
I am sorry to say we have not been there . It is on our radar, but it is one of those you can't get there fr on here places. An hour for 29 miles is a deterrent
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2014, 09:30:13 pm »
I made one this year using hops harvested from my neighbors garden moments before use.  I used dry hops for the early addition and late aroma addition, then a pound of wet hops at flame with a 10 -20 minute hop stand at flame out.  Pretty damn good ale, I tell ya.  YMMV, of course.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 09:43:01 pm »
I made one this year using hops harvested from my neighbors garden moments before use.  I used dry hops for the early addition and late aroma addition, then a pound of wet hops at flame with a 10 -20 minute hop stand at flame out.  Pretty damn good ale, I tell ya.  YMMV, of course.

Sounds great!
Jon H.