Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Are First Round Results Posted?  (Read 7915 times)

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
Re: Are First Round Results Posted?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 03:27:46 pm »
Uh oh. That's not a good sign. You may want to contact the organizer for your region
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 03:33:32 pm »
I received two sets of scoresheets for one of my entries. I am curious - did it get two rounds of tastings (one of the score sheets says position 4 of 4 and the other says position 5 of 5). Did I get someone else's scoresheet? For the record, it was a Marzen entered in the West region. Also the entry numbers on all of my scoresheets are different from the entry numbers I see on the registration page as belonging to my beers.

Hi Skyler,

In most regions the entries are renumbered when they are checked in.  This is why the entry numbers don't match what you thought you had entered. 

Did you only have one entry in the competition?  What are the entry numbers? I can look them up for you.  E-mail is better.

Cheers,
   Janis

Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator

Janis@brewersassociation.org
Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline dantenatas

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 01:16:06 pm »
This was the first time I entered a brewing contest, so I have a newbee question. I entered an Imperial Stout in the Northwest region and scored a 43.5 and on the cover sheet, the box that says "This beer advanced to a mini-BOS round", is checked. In the results for Northwest region, Cat 13, I did not advance, however it lists 43.5 (same score as mine) as the top score for the category. Does this mean there were multiple scores of 43.5 and I just lost out in the BOS round? I'm really bummed that I didn't make it in to the finals.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 01:21:42 pm »
Mini-BOSs are always a source of confusion for folks until you see them in action.

Basically what happened: Your category had too many beers for one team of judges so it was split. Each panel scored their beers independently. When they were done they took their best 2 or 3 and met with the other judging teams.

Together they all tasted the beers nominated by each team and selected (regardless of score) the best three beers. Your beer, despite it's 43.5 was not selected in that final process.

Why does it happen that way instead of just using the scores? Largely because judges are variable in their scores. For instance, I'm a tough judge. If I give your beer a 40 it's because I f'ing loved it. So my 32, may be equivalent to someone elses 39. The taste off allows for a way to erase those individual judging quirks.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:23 pm »
This was the first time I entered a brewing contest, so I have a newbee question. I entered an Imperial Stout in the Northwest region and scored a 43.5 and on the cover sheet, the box that says "This beer advanced to a mini-BOS round", is checked. In the results for Northwest region, Cat 13, I did not advance, however it lists 43.5 (same score as mine) as the top score for the category. Does this mean there were multiple scores of 43.5 and I just lost out in the BOS round? I'm really bummed that I didn't make it in to the finals.

Hi Dan (?),

Thanks for entering the 2010 National Homebrew Competition!

Category 13 in the Northwest Region had 44 entries, so there were probably 4 flights.  Each flight judges and scores their entries and then pick the top 3 scoring above 30 points to advance to the mini-best of show (BOS).  In the NHC, all beers judged higher than 30 are given a T-stopper to recap the entry for the mini-BOS, and then they are stored until the mini-BOS.  During the mini-BOS, the top judges from the four flights judge the 12 beers (in this case) without looking at scores, and then they place the beers based on their merits as best exemplifying the style.  In some cases, a beer that scored very high during the initial judging, for whatever reason, will not hold up as well for the mini-BOS.  Another possibility is that the judges in your flight were scoring beers higher than the judges in the other flights, so while your beer scored well, it might not have been as good as the top 9 beers from the other flights.  Viewed this way, the mini-BOS acts as a tool to even out the judges biases in categories with a large number of entries.

I know how disappointing this end result must be for you; I had a super high-scoring mead that didn’t place in one competition.  On the one hand, I was elated with the score, and on the other it was incredibly frustrating that it didn’t even place.  I’m sure you’re experiencing something very similar.  Sorry for the news.

Cheers,
   Janis

AHA Project Coordinator

Janis Gross
AHA Project Coordinator

Offline mroakley

• Cellarman
    • The Grain Trust
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 02:22:28 pm »

Sorry to hear you didn't make it but congrats on brewing a heck of a beer.  I've had this happen to me four times in the last two years!   :)

narvin

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 09:26:18 am »
Congrats to everyone who advanced!

My Saison made it through with a 2nd place, which I'm very pleased about.