Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sludge  (Read 3306 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sludge
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:40:50 pm »
I recently purchased a very fine screen for my funnel. I noticed during my last brew (debacle), that it kept so much sludge out of the fermenter that it actually stopped the wort from flowing.

Is there every a time, or a benefit for sludge in the kettle to make it into the fermenter?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Sludge
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:00:21 pm »
In years past I used to dump it all in and made good beer. Now I rack off of most of the trub but let a little into the fermenter - a little is actually beneficial for the yeast.
Jon H.

Offline brew inspector

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:19:33 pm »
I recently saw a study comparing two identical beers.  One fermented with minimal trub as if siphoned.  The other with all sludge thrown in.  The end result was that the clearest final product was the all sludge version. I don't recall That there was any  taste preference

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »
If you can see some, its probably enough. I doubt the yesst need an inch of sediment though. I chill, wirlpool, lets stand for 20-30 minutes, then rack the clear stuff to my fermenter with an autosyphon. I get a little gunk but most is left behind.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:32:02 pm »
I heard a few comparison experiments that repeatedly showed little to no difference between beers that were fermented off the trub, versus ones where the entire kettle was dumped into the fermenter. Since I'm always looking for one less unnecessary step to perform on brewday I just started dumping everything into the fermenter. Since then I have had a run of hoppy beers that have ended up with a vegetal bitterness and cloudy suspended hop material that won't drop clear. I'm going back to filtering for a while to see if that helps. So, the verdict is still out on my end.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:01 pm »
Everything i have ever researched has frowned upon it. Even if you use things such as whirlfloc, hopbacks, whirlpooling/stands you get some in there but it is important to keep most of it out because to much has been linked to head retention problems, possible harsh bitterness/vegital  and poor flavor stability. Trub is mainly polyphenols and fatty acids i think and could even maybe cause off flavors with higher undesirable alcohols.  I just try to make an effort to remove as much as possible especially in my light German lagers:)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »
I take the middle path. I whirlpool after chilling and let sit for a few minutes. If its a small enough batch to pour I pour through a sieve slowly and try to not to let too much trub go out of the pot but don't sweat it. I usually end up with a half inch of settled trub in the fermenter come morning. If its a large batch I whirlpool but use an autosiphon and, again, try to avoid lots of trub but don't worry about some.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:24 pm »
My theory is that I only want stuff in my fermenter that I WANT in my fermenter, but I am not OCD about it. I dont let a little hazy stuff from the bottom of the kettle freak me out. But I seem to keep most of it out.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 07:18:20 am »
I pour through a strainer to catch most of the trub. I'm generally not too concerned about flavor impact but when fermenting one gallon in a 1.3 gallon vessel I need to reduce some of the trub to reduce blowoff.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:47 am »
like most i try to minimize the trub into carboy. i use a kettle with spigot and copper tube inside pointed right on the bottom. i brew planning for about .5 gal of trub, so i let the wort settle as im chilling it with wort chiller,then open the spigot and let about .5 gallon of gunk come out. this really takes much of the trub out of the kettle, so i then whirl pool, let it settle and siphon off to my carboy.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:49:35 am »
I dump it all in.  I don't make an effort to get every last bit of trub into the fermenter, but I've given up on pouring it through a sieve.  I have had no issues with clarity, head retention, bitterness, etc.

My batches are partial mash, so perhaps I'm not getting as much trub as you might with a full all-grain batch.  But I am mashing 6-8lbs. of grain.  My hops go in hop bags.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:00:08 am »
I strain through a paint bag when dumping into the fermentor. I still get some trub small enough to get though the mesh, but not enough to tempt me to wash my harvested yeast after I rack off the yeast cake.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:24:04 am »
Basic Brewing Radio did an experiment that concluded that the beers that had the trub left in turned out better.  Here's another...http://hbd.org/discus/messages/40327/41534.html
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 03:03:26 pm »
Basic Brewing Radio did an experiment that concluded that the beers that had the trub left in turned out better.  Here's another...http://hbd.org/discus/messages/40327/41534.html

My bad, but that's not nearly convincing enough for me.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »

My bad, but that's not nearly convincing enough for me.

Well, then there's my own experience!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell