Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Possibility for Bottle Bombs  (Read 1429 times)

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
Possibility for Bottle Bombs
« on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:25 am »
I know I may be getting worked up over nothing but I have never seen this before during my short time making beer. Here is the situation.

Last night I was bottling up a double IPA I was transferring my beer to the bottling bucket and had left a small layer of beer on top of the yeast. After transferring I put the airlock back on the carboy. While bottling I noticed that the airlock still had activity. After bottling all the beer and checking again the airlock still had activity. This all happened after I had reached a steady FG and had cold crashed my beer. Should I be worried about bottle bombs? I am planning on cracking a bottle open soon and checking the carbonation levels later tonight to see if it is already carbed up.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Possibility for Bottle Bombs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:30:45 am »
You are simply seeing off gassing from the pressure change, if the fg was stable you've got nothing to worry about:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:57:14 pm »
I know I may be getting worked up over nothing but I have never seen this before during my short time making beer. Here is the situation.

Last night I was bottling up a double IPA I was transferring my beer to the bottling bucket and had left a small layer of beer on top of the yeast. After transferring I put the airlock back on the carboy. While bottling I noticed that the airlock still had activity. After bottling all the beer and checking again the airlock still had activity. This all happened after I had reached a steady FG and had cold crashed my beer. Should I be worried about bottle bombs? I am planning on cracking a bottle open soon and checking the carbonation levels later tonight to see if it is already carbed up.

paranoid. you'll be fine.  ;D
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:50 am »
i wouldnt stress it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:20:47 am »

yeah, it's fine. don't waste a bottle checking now. give it a week at least. bottle bombs won't happen overnight and in this case they aren't going to happen at all.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce