Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refrigeration Space  (Read 2182 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Refrigeration Space
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:45:51 pm »
Not sure if this should be in equipment or not, but it is equipment related. I have a 7.2cf chest freezer with Johnson digital controllers for managing the freezer and a fermwrap. I have my Dunkel in the freezer now at 8 days and have started to slowly raise the temp. When I checked it, it had gone from 1.054 down to 1.02, or 68.5% attenuation thus far roughly. Trying to mimic the modified lager schedule that was discussed on my post "My first lager" I plan on raising it a couple degrees a day (3) till I hit 65, leave for 3 days or until no diacetyl and FG has been reached. My question is this, I also store my finished beers in this chest freezer. What will happen if these go from the 50 they have been sitting at, slowly up to 65, then slowly back down to 35? The beers in question are a little of my Split open and Melt RIS from Big Brew, a couple Double Hazelnut Browns, a Märzen or 2, and assorted store bought beers. Do I need to find another way? My basement has been in the mid fifties the last 5 days or so, so I could just pull them, leave them out in basement and hope temp does not spike up? What are your thoughts?
Edit for typo
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:59:32 am by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Refrigeration Space
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:57:13 pm »
I think they will be just fine. Consider what happened in the old days when they got a warm spell and the keller cave warmed up a bit. I would not sweat it.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:59:38 pm »
Thanks Jim! Good to know

Sent from Franx Brew Works using Tapatalk
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:18:43 am »
Most folks on these brewing forums tend to lean toward ideals. I get it. Perfect conditions are good to aim at. But its not perfect or die. If fermentation is done you can go up and down within reason and limited ill effects. Just keep in mind its not ideal. The negativ effects will be to flabor stability though minor. For every 10ºC increase you cut shelf life in half. You are raising from 10C to about 18C and for a short time. Lets say a couple weeks. That two weeks at 18C is sort of equal to a month at 10C. In other words you are shaving two weeks off the total lifespan of that beer. A dunkel has a bit longer lifespan than a light color beer, so probably you are turning a beer thats good for 18 months into one thats good for 17 months 2 weeks.

All ball bark figures used just to illustrate the point.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:43:23 am »
What will happen is when you pour a beer the beer will be warm.  That sounds snarky but it is probably the biggest issue you will notice.  Temperature cycling can cause protein to precipitate which causes haze or leaves a deposit on the bottle.  I don't believe that temperature cycle causes any taste issues although conceivably the mouthfeel could be affected for better or worse.

Why don't you move your fermenting beer out of the freezer and control its temp using the fermwrap?

Offline 69franx

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:13 am »
What will happen is when you pour a beer the beer will be warm.  That sounds snarky but it is probably the biggest issue you will notice.  Temperature cycling can cause protein to precipitate which causes haze or leaves a deposit on the bottle.  I don't believe that temperature cycle causes any taste issues although conceivably the mouthfeel could be affected for better or worse.

Why don't you move your fermenting beer out of the freezer and control its temp using the fermwrap?
That is the other possibility, but I am planning on brewing Denny's BVIP this weekend and leaving it out with the fermwrap, as I should be chilling the Dunkel by then.
To follow up on the warm beer issue (no snarkiness noted,) this chest freezer is for my bulk storage of bottles. Before serving, they are moved from the freezer (which is normally at 50-55) upstairs to a small beverage freezer (40-45). Are you saying that I will notice a difference even when they are brought upstairs and cooled down to serving temps, or just if I serve them at the higher temps? I mean that is my original question: can these already fermented bottles still be good after going up and down? As an example, they were fermented at 64, carbed at 70+, cooled to 50ish, then put through these temp adjustments as well.
In reality, I guess I am looking for a good reason to look into another chest freezer, maybe Xmas gift to myself and my beer. If no real ill affects of these temp shifts, I may put that money into something else(kegging maybe)
Frank L.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:54:55 pm »

In reality, I guess I am looking for a good reason to look into another chest freezer, maybe Xmas gift to myself and my beer. If no real ill affects of these temp shifts, I may put that money into something else(kegging maybe)

Oh, then no it will not work. You have to get a chest freezer

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:03:23 pm »

Thanks Jim, I am laughing but SWMBO is not, got to keep it on the hush hush. Maybe I can hide another freezer in the basement, not likely. Just have to drink faster/ more/ more often I guess.

Oh, then no it will not work. You have to get a chest freezer
Frank L.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »
I keep my beer in the dining room where it is pretty much 78° for 8 months of the year. It's the best I can do, so it is what it is.

Whenever I get a home I will build out a cold room in the garage and keep it at a 55° all year long. I guess I will still need to use a freezer for temp control when fermenting.