Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1990s beer critic  (Read 1934 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
1990s beer critic
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:21:46 pm »
Anyone remember the name of the guy who wrote a book or two back in the 1990s with his reviews of various beers (craft, macro, imports, you name it)?  I am drawing a blank.  No, not Michael Jackson.

I had one of those day calendars once, with a review per day.  Some of them were quite funny.  I can't believe I can't remember his name.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 1990s beer critic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:33:29 pm »
Nevermind......I should have just spent more time googling.

The answer is....Bob Klein!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:36:34 pm »
Ah, yes!  I had one of those calendars, too.  Hysterical!  Every beer had a comment about the flavor "mid bottle".
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »
Read some of the reviews at Amazon concerning his book, which you can buy for a penny.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beer-Lovers-Rating-Guide/dp/1563056828

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »
Read some of the reviews at Amazon concerning his book, which you can buy for a penny.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beer-Lovers-Rating-Guide/dp/1563056828

A fate I hope to avoid!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glenmoorebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:11:36 pm »
Buying  this just to see how bad it really is. Maybe gift it to a fellow beer geek around the holidays and see if they get the joke
-AK

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »
Buying  this just to see how bad it really is. Maybe gift it to a fellow beer geek around the holidays and see if they get the joke

It's really bad, but at least it's funny bad.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline David Lester

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:05:15 pm »

It's really bad, but at least it's funny bad.

White Elephant Gag Gift at a beer club holiday party.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »
On the other hand, his beer descriptions are an enigma at times. For example, he describes the Affligem Noel Christmas Ale: "as soft and buttery as the mouth of a champion bird dog".

Haha.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:37 pm »
I am glad that I could share a good laugh that old farts like Denny and I laughed at years ago, but forgot in our dotage.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:02 pm »
Hey, me too.  I was gifted that daily calendar for several years, sometimes twice a year.  Insipid is a more realistic modifier than humorous.  "Yeasty" was his favorite descriptor.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 09:07:30 pm »
Denny - at a penny a book your publisher would not be happy!  But no fear - as soon as your and Drew's book hits, it is a sure best seller.  I am counting down the days dude.  The last book you contibuted to - Craft Beer For The Homebrewer - is my current favorite.  I hope to brew through it over the next few years.  So far my favorite is El Lector - from Cigar City.  I made it twice, since it tasted so well!  Experimental Brewing is going to be great, I am sure. 

As to the OP, I had one of those calendars and use it to this day as scrap paper to write things on the back of the pages.  Helps keep this old guy on track on brew days.

Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"