Lot's of ideas to mull around here. I'm going to look at doing small split batches of maybe a gallon each.
1) Mildly burn/scorch some of the original fwh's in a little wort in a separate vessel.
2) Cold smoke a small amount of hops to dry hop with or add to a 1 gallon batch while boiling.
3) Try a small percentage of smoke malt.
4) Maybe try to re-create the original scenario on a stainless plate to prevent the cleanup of the kettle.
5) Brew the original recipe without scorching the hops to see if it's just not worth all the hassle, but with this level of complexity, I just don't know.