Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch19  (Read 5540 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Batch19
« on: November 07, 2012, 03:44:04 pm »
Pre-prohibition style lager!

Inspired by a 1919 recipe; this is an offering by Coors I was to find out later with a web-search. A golden bright fizzy lager with a decent malt and hop backbone. A tad sweet but balanced. Lightly herbal and citrusy with a faint currant nose. Definitely reminiscent of the Coors malt profile.

Nice beer. If they were drinking beer like this back then then they were drinking well! The macros would do well to take notice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Batch19
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »
so i just tried this last night.  i have a patient who is a beer distributor and drops me off a case of varied stuff every now and then. this was in the offering.  i was very surprised at how good this was. enough so that i may buy some in the near future.  nothing fancy. not over the top with any special flavors etc. just a easy drinking but hearty beer.  unfortunately there was only one in the mix. 
Don AHA member

Offline dcdwort

• Cellarman
  • Colorado Springs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:48:17 pm »
I have had that one on tap at a local restaurant and was surprised that I enjoyed it.  I have a hard time with any of the new beers the big 3 are coming out with to take on the micros.  I would say; "Support your local brewer!", but dang, Coors and Bud are local brewers in Colorado.  Time for another hike up the 14er  Quandary Peak.......
Don
Bottled:  Nightime Porter, Pumpkin Eater Ale, Big Lass Double IPA, Sholto Scottish Ale, Neville Court ESB, Lowlands Scottish ale 80/, Morining Oatmeal stout, NB 1554 clone, NB SnowDay clone
Planning:
Fermenting:

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 05:02:51 pm »
so i just tried this last night.  i have a patient who is a beer distributor and drops me off a case of varied stuff every now and then. this was in the offering.  i was very surprised at how good this was. enough so that i may buy some in the near future.  nothing fancy. not over the top with any special flavors etc. just a easy drinking but hearty beer.  unfortunately there was only one in the mix.

IIRC, it is a Pre-Prohibition CAP. You can make one!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 06:54:53 pm »
i

IIRC, it is a Pre-Prohibition CAP. You can make one!

i have a few from my brew last summer, and will brew another for late spring, but quite honestly, mine was not that good.  next one will be much improved though.
Don AHA member

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:18:15 am »
I've had it before. It's really pretty good. I'd take it over any of the usual BMC products in a heartbeat. It definitely shows MillerCoors can make great beer and could offer some excellent craft products if they wanted to.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:04:01 pm »
Thanks to this thread I will now try it.  HEB grocers has it in singles.  I will get back with what I think of it.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:51:29 am »
Thanks to this thread I will now try it.  HEB grocers has it in singles.  I will get back with what I think of it.

Tried it.  Liked it.  A nice lager that had flavor and body, and wasn't flavorless or watered down at all.  I only got one, but if I had gotten a sixer of it I would not have been at all disappointed.  Only down side was twist-off bottle not reusable for homebrew, and I'm currently in need of bottles for my vamped up one batch a week brew schedule!

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:29:50 pm »
i received a 6er for christmas and was pleasantly surprised especially coming from coors cause i cant stand coors. do you suppose the bottle shape is like it was in 1919? kinda cool.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:41:41 am »
I had a sample at the local distributor last week.  Definitely more drinkable than the other offerings from Coor's, but it didn't change my mind from getting the mixed case from Founder's.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread as I was finally able to get one in mix-a-six format. I have to say, this is really good for a macro, but it still tastes like a macro. I get some sweetness on the tail end and a bit of corn. But otherwise, this is good stuff. The malt definitely reminds me of Coors. The bittering has a nice snap to it, and it actually smells and tastes like beer. I'd even consider buying a sack of Coors 2-row if it was available.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer