Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wee Heavy extended boil time?  (Read 6878 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Wee Heavy extended boil time?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 07:29:06 am »
And are boiling first running a and main boil at same time
I brew in my kitchen, so I have my main boil going in a 5-gallon kettle on one burner and my side boil going in a 2-gallon pot on another burner. In my experience, the side boil is generally ready about halfway through my main boil, give or take.
Here's a data point. I just did this last night with some cider. It took almost exactly 2 hours to get 1.5 gallons of 1.048 cider down to the right consistency in a 2-gallon pot on my glass cooktop. One gallon of heavier runnings will take less than that.

One other thing of note - watch it very carefully (especially near the end). I walked away from the pot for 10 minutes with what I thought was still quite a bit of liquid to go. When I walked back the bubbles were almost out the top of the pot and it was down to a pint and a half of syrup.

(Random side note - apple cider syrup is every bit as delicious as it sounds)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:37 am »
And are boiling first running a and main boil at same time
I brew in my kitchen, so I have my main boil going in a 5-gallon kettle on one burner and my side boil going in a 2-gallon pot on another burner. In my experience, the side boil is generally ready about halfway through my main boil, give or take.
Here's a data point. I just did this last night with some cider. It took almost exactly 2 hours to get 1.5 gallons of 1.048 cider down to the right consistency in a 2-gallon pot on my glass cooktop. One gallon of heavier runnings will take less than that.

One other thing of note - watch it very carefully (especially near the end). I walked away from the pot for 10 minutes with what I thought was still quite a bit of liquid to go. When I walked back the bubbles were almost out the top of the pot and it was down to a pint and a half of syrup.

(Random side note - apple cider syrup is every bit as delicious as it sounds)
Yes, Cider syrup is delicious. My friend just partnered with a cider maker and they bought a huge evaporator and sell it: http://carrsciderhouse.wordpress.com/cider-and-food/. I'm thinking of slipping some into a beer but not sure what style I want it in. BTW the evaporator is a good model for reducing the runnings fast with less energy input: use as wide a thick bottomed pot as you have.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 09:42:02 am »
Denny, you know how long, roughly, it takes you to boil that down?

IIRC, 1-2 hours.  But it obviously will depend on boil vigor, pot geometry, etc.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 12:21:47 pm »

IIRC, 1-2 hours.  But it obviously will depend on boil vigor, pot geometry, etc.

I haven't done it many times, but one gallon goes into a 5 gallon pot, and the flame is turn up. The reduction is ready to add by the end of boil.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »

I haven't done it many times, but one gallon goes into a 5 gallon pot, and the flame is turn up. The reduction is ready to add by the end of boil.
I think that really answers the question I so poorly worded. Where in the boil to add the reduced first runnings. Thanks jeff
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »

I think that really answers the question I so poorly worded. Where in the boil to add the reduced first runnings. Thanks jeff

The timing was such that it went in during the last 5 or 10 minutes to be more exact.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 07:01:29 pm »

The timing was such that it went in during the last 5 or 10 minutes to be more exact.
While we're talking practice, I kill the heat on the side boil, then I ladle in a pint or two of the main boil to cool/thin/deglaze the syrup. Does anyone else do this, or are you just dumping it right into the main boil? Also, I just add it to the boil whenever it's ready, rather than waiting until the end.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline colinhayes

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 07:16:40 pm »
I added directly to the kettle once the syrup seemed ready.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 07:30:49 pm »
I treat it like LME - I add it late with the heat off.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 07:44:25 pm »

While we're talking practice, I kill the heat on the side boil, then I ladle in a pint or two of the main boil to cool/thin/deglaze the syrup. Does anyone else do this, or are you just dumping it right into the main boil? Also, I just add it to the boil whenever it's ready, rather than waiting until the end.

That is an excellent procedure!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:36 pm »
I do it in my BK then add the rest to it. I wonder if late vs early makes much difference. I would lean toward early giving it more time and agitation to get the flavors into the whole mix.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 08:59:47 pm »
I do it in my BK then add the rest to it. I wonder if late vs early makes much difference. I would lean toward early giving it more time and agitation to get the flavors into the whole mix.
Seeing as I only have one burner, I like that idea Jim! It also seems to give that reduced volume extra time over the flame, even though it will be diluted once added back. I dont see that it could cause problems. I am not making this any time soon, but it is on my list of Must Do's and I can see doing it this way
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »
It works for me. Though I have no proof that its the best way. I would point out that it means my main mash is sitting there for extra time, so you want to be extra certain that your mash pH is correct, but I don't see any harm in mashing 90 min vs 60 if it is. Thats about how long it takes my sparge to heat up and about how long it takes to reduce the gallon (the extra 30 min that is)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »
I utilize my camp stove to reduce the first runnings. Takes almost an entire mini propane tank, but it's convenient.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 10:46:33 pm »
Put a two burner camp chef on your Christmas list