Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice please. Dark Ale with American style hops.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline chris.oakley.902

• 1st Kit
Advice please. Dark Ale with American style hops.
« on: October 25, 2014, 05:24:17 am »
Some advice please.

I have some leftover ingredients from making a Dark Ale/stout and want to use them up. Pale malt, chocolate malt, black malt, crystal etc a tin of coopers dark LME and some DME

However,  I used my leftover hops from the last batch in a Golden ale. Rather than order some more fuggles and goldings I would like to use some of my hop stock up. These are more suited to APA style varieties.

I have Cascade, Galena, Magnum, Citra and amarillo.

I will be doing a partial mash and partial boil brew.

Question is, has anyone ever brewed anything similar? Am I better off just ordering some classic British hops or should I have a go? Would it be  black APA? (Now that should start an argument? :oops:;)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Advice please. Dark Ale with American style hops.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:36:13 am »
You can bitter with the magnum and finish with the cascade, amarillo, and Cutra for a black IPAish brew.

Or depending on how much cascade you have, a single hopped cascade stout can work. Full Pint Brewery out of Pittsburgh has a seasonal "Night of the Living Stout." It's 117 IBUs and is single-hopped with cascade. It's completely different from any stout or black ipa that I've ever had. It's thicker and more robust like a stout. And the hops mesh well. It works.
Frank

Offline chris.oakley.902

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:01:03 am »
Great stuff... i am going to work something out based on the hop store then...i have about 300g of cascade so the single hop might work... get my thinking cap on.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:06:04 am »
Great stuff... i am going to work something out based on the hop store then...i have about 300g of cascade so the single hop might work... get my thinking cap on.

Yeah, I don't know if you need that many IBUs or not. I'd do enough to allow the cascades come through though. Regardless, 300 grams should get you there. This is sometging that I've wanted to brew for a couple of years but I've just not gotten around to it.

Full Pint gives some brew stats on their webpage...
http://www.fullpintbrewing.com/brews.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:08:40 am by fmader »
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:15:13 am »
If you're going for a Black IPA I'd stay away from any dark-colored malt extract. You will likely end up with a beer that is too full and sweet for a Black IPA.

If you don't overdo it, a robust porter with a healthy dose of late hops is actually a pretty nice brew. I might skip the Citra in that case. Bitter with Galena or Magnum, and add the Cascade and Amarillo near the end of the boil. Something like an ounce or two of Amarillo in the 10-15 minute range and another ounce or two of Cascade in the 0-5 minute range.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:07 am »
Black APA?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing