Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Welding question  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
Welding question
« on: September 27, 2014, 09:22:57 pm »
Alright, I am new to welding and I  am currently building a single tier stand. I have a question about welding on the legs. I am building the top tier by welding all four corners. I want to lay that on the four legs and weld them on. My question is about welding where the legs and top will join. Should I weld the top tier and then double weld or should I connect the legs and try to weld the three pieces together with essentially one bead? 

Any feedback or thoughts?

I know think I should have welding the legs as the corners but thought it would be more structurally sound to lay the top into legs.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Cheers!
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Online Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Welding question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:24:38 am »
I don't see any issues with welding the top as a single frame.  There are good reasons to do so.

For legs, I would layup and weld the lower framing and then join the top to the frame.  That way I could avoid try to set a "long' leg on end and get everything square with long vertical extensions.

Your system shouldn't be having to deal with a ton of side to side movement, mostly up/down weight distribution so 3 beads should give you ample strength.

Others will give opinions as well. 

Cheers!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:58 am »
 Thanks Slowbrew. Much appreciated.
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:17:51 pm »
Pictures of your design would be greatly appreciated by me as I'm trying to design the same thing for me.