Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aluminum Pot Oxidation  (Read 7234 times)

Offline jyohe09

• 1st Kit
Aluminum Pot Oxidation
« on: October 18, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
I recently purchased a turkey fryer combo from Sams club due to my current brew pot not being able to work with the stove(glasstop) in my new apartment. Today i boiled some water in it for about 30 minutes to oxidize it and prepare to use it tomorrow to make a pumpkin ale.  I knew coming into this that it would discolor it but I didnt think it would discolor it this much!  Does everything still look alright to the fellow brewers out there?

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Aluminum Pot Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:30:33 pm »
Ideally you want the entire inside of the pot to look like that before you ever brew in it.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline jyohe09

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 02:33:11 pm »
So what would be the best way to get the top to look like this then?

Offline jyohe09

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »
After letting the pot dry i wiped the inside out with a sponge and the sponge came out with some black on it? I wiped it clean before I oxidized as well... as long as i clean it out again before I brew it should be ok to use right?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »
So what would be the best way to get the top to look like this then?
Put an inch or 2 of water in it, boil with the lid on is the standard advice.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:03:35 am »
Yes if you boil hard water in the pot... then just let it cool and it should oxidize.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 05:36:39 am »
After letting the pot dry i wiped the inside out with a sponge and the sponge came out with some black on it? I wiped it clean before I oxidized as well... as long as i clean it out again before I brew it should be ok to use right?

Your pot looks just like mine.  For cleaning, always use the sponge side and try not to use the abrasive side too much or too hard and try to avoid any harsh detergents.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:13:39 pm »
I was always told to never use aluminum because it will impart off flavors in the wort.  I use stainless and it was quite spendy, aluminum would've been a lot cheaper but I have already made the investment.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:36:42 am »
I was always told to never use aluminum because it will impart off flavors in the wort.

That may be true if you started with a freshly scrubbed kettle that was shiny and bright. But if you start with an oxidized dull gray surface like shown above, there is no chance of metallic flavor.  My kettle now has a tea-colored finish to it. I only scrub to the degree necessary to remove trub, never hard enough to remove the patina. Aluminum is well suited to homebrewing use.  Its not suited for kettles that get scrubbed and polished, like in a commercial brewery.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 08:09:17 am »
I was always told to never use aluminum because it will impart off flavors in the wort.

That may be true if you started with a freshly scrubbed kettle that was shiny and bright. But if you start with an oxidized dull gray surface like shown above, there is no chance of metallic flavor.  My kettle now has a tea-colored finish to it. I only scrub to the degree necessary to remove trub, never hard enough to remove the patina. Aluminum is well suited to homebrewing use.  Its not suited for kettles that get scrubbed and polished, like in a commercial brewery.

Aluminum's oxide layer will not stand up to the caustics that breweries use when they CIP.

One should not go too acidic with aluminum either. Boiling wort is fine as it is only mildly acidic, but cooking tomatoes in aluminum will also damage the oxide layer. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 08:12:00 am »
If only I knew this 15yrs ago. Well, hopefully someone else will read this and save some huge $$$

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:49:29 am »
I was always told to never use aluminum because it will impart off flavors in the wort.  I use stainless and it was quite spendy, aluminum would've been a lot cheaper but I have already made the investment.

An old myth that refuses to die.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jyohe09

• 1st Kit
Aluminum Pot Oxidation
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 10:00:52 am »
Well hopefully in a couple weeks here I can put the questioning to rest in this thread when I try my pumpkin ale.  So results will follow...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:04:41 am by jyohe09 »