Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recycling Plastic Kegs  (Read 4066 times)

Offline DiamondKnotGirl

• 1st Kit
Recycling Plastic Kegs
« on: October 21, 2014, 12:36:10 pm »
Hi all -

Has anyone tried to recycle 5-gallon plastic kegs from Plastic Kegs America? Just curious. We have a bunch we would like to recycle here at Diamond Knot Craft Brewing, so I'm on the hunt for an outlet to repurpose them.

Thanks! Sherry, Diamond Knot Craft Brewing

Offline goobersan

• Cellarman
Re: Recycling Plastic Kegs
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »
try "repurposedmaterialsinc.com"
Thank your mentor
Be a mentor
Brew Better Beer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:52:15 am »
Could homebrewers repurpose these as fermentors? If so, then that's going to be an easy way to avoid sending them to the dump.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:32:20 am »
Could homebrewers repurpose these as fermentors? If so, then that's going to be an easy way to avoid sending them to the dump.

Good call. I'm sure plenty of homebrewers would be interested if the price and freight were fair. I wouldn't dispense from them after reading all the bad press.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:31:12 pm »
I have one sitting in my backyard collecting doggie doodies  ;D

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:17:44 pm »

how'd you teach it to do that?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:50:00 pm »

He may have well trained dogs.   :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:52:03 pm »
to go bit closer to the OP...

My LHBS has a few on the used keg shelf.  Some folks must be buying them as there are fewer there than the first time I saw them there.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 05:59:34 am »

He may have well trained dogs.   :D

Paul

HA!  great stuff guys.  unfortunately, for the time being, human intervention is required.  Stay tuned though...

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 04:08:26 pm »
Here is a message regarding PKA kegs from the Brewers Association:

To date, the Brewers Association (BA) has received reports from 21 breweries of explosive failures involving 47 kegs manufactured by Plastic Kegs of America. These kegs did not "fail safe" but rather created dangerous situations due to fragmentation of the kegs. Tragically one of these incidents in April 2012 resulted in the death of Redhook Brewery employee Ben Harris. To date, BA has not received reports of explosive failure of plastic kegs manufactured by other companies.

While the BA does not have first-hand knowledge of these incidents, or similar incidents in the past, we have been told of explosions involving brand new kegs, kegs being cleaned at pressure levels below the maximum recommended by their manufacturer or kegs that simply exploded while in storage.

The reports we have received have raised serious questions about the safety of these products. Accordingly, in early 2013 BA retained Bilfinger Industrial Services ("BIS") as subject experts to develop keg performance and safety guidelines for use by all US brewing industry stakeholders. BA anticipates that the first set of these guidelines detailing safety parameters and performance expectations of two way, or reusable, kegs will be available by the end of January 2014. The second set of guidelines, detailing safety and performance expectations of one way, or non-returnable, kegs is in development and will follow soon after. Ultimately, both sets (two way and one way) of guidelines will be updated to include quality issues including compatibility of materials and flavor impact on beer.

As an industry trade association, the law limits the ability of BA to force or require brewers to purchase, or not purchase, specific equipment. But the guidelines will provide BA brewery members with a basis to make their own educated and enlightened decisions regarding keg safety and performance when sourcing and purchasing kegs. The guidelines will evolve as flexible living documents, able to respond to rapidly changing technologies as well as the availability of technical information. These guidelines will be available to all US brewing industry stakeholders including all brewers large and small, keg, valve and chemical suppliers, keg cleaning and filling line suppliers, wholesalers and retailers.

The BA continues to collect relevant information from brewers, manufacturers, and others, and we urge you to provide us with any further information you may have that will help us in the continued development of the guidelines or the advancement of keg and brewery safety.

The BA and our third-party subject experts BIS remain engaged with all manufacturers of kegs and keg components.

Please note, any brewer or keg user with first-hand knowledge of keg explosion incidents can also report those incidents to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »
Great post Gary. Even as homebrewers we need to have personal safety in everything we do. Be careful out there!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:50:33 pm »
Scary stuff. I'll transfer from corny to corny via pressure but it makes me never want to use pressure on plastic. Don't really need to with my equipment anyway.
Jon H.