Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidentally froze yeast  (Read 2636 times)

Offline brian-d

• 1st Kit
Accidentally froze yeast
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:38:16 pm »
After brew day placed my yeast starters (lager yeast) into my fermentation chamber to acclimate down to fermentation temp.  The yeast froze before I could pitch.  I've thawed but they are not floculating.  Is the yeast suitable to pitch?  If not will my wort be ok waiting a day or two for me to make new starters?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Accidentally froze yeast
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:26:23 pm »
If your sanitation is top notch you should be ok for 24. What are you brewing that the yeast need to be so cold?

Offline brian-d

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:43:08 pm »
My sanitation is tight. I always brew ales, but decided to brew a Pilsner.  I poured off the starter wort so there was just enough to pitch the yeast cake.  I was trying to acclimate the yeast and wort together.  The fermentation chamber got to cold bringing 8 gallons of wort to 50f.  The yeast slurry was not completely frozen, but mostly. Never had this happen before.  I was hoping someone would tell me the yeast is still fine to pitch. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:26:27 pm by brian-d »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:39:03 pm »
No guarantee, but if the yeast wasn't frozen solid I think you should be OK. I have had smack packs get a little slushy on my doorstep in the winter but the yeast always worked fine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
My sanitation is tight. I always brew ales, but decided to brew a Pilsner.  I has poured off the starter wort so there was just enough to pitch the yeast cake.  I was trying to acclimate the yeast and wort together.  The fermentation chamber got to cold bringing 8 gallons of wort to 50f.  The yeast slurry was not completely frozen, but mostly. Never had this happen before.  I was hoping someone would tell me the yeast is still fine to pitch.
Ah ha, makes sense cuz the freezer would be working hard to get that volume down to 50 which would for sure freeze the little dab of yeast.

Maybe just pitch it and prove it can be done. In the wild they get frozen every winter but come back to life. Once they get going they should separate just fine. It may not be the optimal method but my money says it's fine. Will make beer