Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What's your preferred CO2 tank size?

5lb
10lb
15lb
20lb
None of the above

Author Topic: CO2 Tank Size  (Read 7818 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: CO2 Tank Size
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 12:50:05 am »
I have 50lb, 20lb, 5lb and 3x 20oz in CO2, plus a 200cf beer blend. And I'm planning to add a straight N2 tank.  I'm crazy mind you...

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 04:02:35 pm »
I'd love to have a nitro tank, but getting it filled would mean a weekday trip specially for it, so I haven't gone that route before.  I seriously like the idea of a 2lb tank for portability.  I may have to look into that, rather than going the paintball canister route.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »

I'd love to have a nitro tank, but getting it filled would mean a weekday trip specially for it, so I haven't gone that route before.  I seriously like the idea of a 2lb tank for portability.  I may have to look into that, rather than going the paintball canister route.

With you on the nitro tank. Only place nearby is 20 minute drive and open M-F 8-5.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 07:22:34 am »

With you on the nitro tank. Only place nearby is 20 minute drive and open M-F 8-5.

I consider it a lunchtime errand to take a trip to AirGas. Plus, with a 200 cf tank and only one nitro tap, it's been 2.5 years and the tank is still 1/3 full.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 02:30:37 pm »
Welding supply companies are good options too (lots of different gases available and most can do certs or at least direct you to someone who can).

That was good advice, thanks. 

I found an Airgas shop not far from where I work.  I had to trade in my nice, shiny tank for one of theirs, but the guy told me not to worry about the fact that mine needed a hydro, and he only charged me $20 for the swap. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
I use both 20 and 5's.  There's no refill place close to me, only exchange.  Sometimes I get a steel one, sometimes the aluminum.  No biggie to me either way. 

The 5's go in the kegerators, and I use the 20's for carbonating, purging, ect.....

In my town, the 5's are $19 and the 20's are $23.  Looks like I'm really just paying for transportation, not so much gas.