Author Topic: Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?
« on: May 30, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
I ran out of Dried Malt Extract and need to make a yeast starter.  My local homebrew shop is not open until after Monday.  Can I make a yeast starter with Corn sugar?  I have a stir plate, Yeast Hulls, Yeast Nutrients, Servomyces, DAP, Go-ferm, and Fermaid-K, but no DME.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
    • View Profile
Re: Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »
I ran out of Dried Malt Extract and need to make a yeast starter.  My local homebrew shop is not open until after Monday.  Can I make a yeast starter with Corn sugar?  I have a stir plate, Yeast Hulls, Yeast Nutrients, Servomyces, DAP, Go-ferm, and Fermaid-K, but no DME.

If it were me, I'd just wait till I could get some extract.  The sugar will probably start it up, but  I think that the yeasties like to be started up on the food they'll ultimately be eating...malt.  If you start them up with dextrose, they may not be quite as healthy (kind of like the apparent effect of dextrose on people).
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Yeast Starter Glitch with Corn Sugar?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
I was thinking the same thing but just wanted to make sure.  Darn...this is going to push my brewing schedule back one week.  I had to bottle the 3 different brews that are in the freezer chest, then i was going to rack the other 3 brews that are in the fermenters and cold condition them so i could brew some more beers.  I really dropped the ball on this one, now everything gets pushed back.  I need to start taking closer look at my inventory...
Thanks for the suggestion, i really appreciate it.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.