Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Online fermentation using Tcontrol  (Read 4477 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Online fermentation using Tcontrol
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »
But for the homebrewer I think it is over kill - in other words, I don't necessarily think it is anything that will really help you make better beer. But, of course, that's ok. Overkill can be really awesome and fun. Look at the Shelby Cobra. ;)

I didn't know the Shelby Cobra, it looks like a nice car that you do not need to go to work but the car is fun I think.

Coincidentally, most Shelby Cobras are owned by people who don't NEED to go to work. So its a win win for them.

I really dig the gadget end of things, but I'm in the camp that enjoys learning to leave it alone. I used to baby sit my fermentors, checking on them daily and sometimes multiple times each day. I can obsess if I don't check myself. So I've found that set it and forget it is good therapy. Lately, I peek the day after I pitch just to make sure. Then I don't open the freezer again till its time to pull tge first FG sample.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 03:10:12 am »
I really dig the gadget end of things, but I'm in the camp that enjoys learning to leave it alone. I used to baby sit my fermentors, checking on them daily and sometimes multiple times each day. I can obsess if I don't check myself. So I've found that set it and forget it is good therapy. Lately, I peek the day after I pitch just to make sure. Then I don't open the freezer again till its time to pull tge first FG sample.
I'm firmly entrenched in the "leave it alone" camp myself, but it's mainly because I don't have time and I'm lazy. If I had a way to both monitor and adjust temps on the go, I would most certainly make use of it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 05:19:12 am »
I'm firmly entrenched in the "leave it alone" camp myself, but it's mainly because I don't have time and I'm lazy. If I had a way to both monitor and adjust temps on the go, I would most certainly make use of it.

+2
Jon H.

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:12 pm »
Quote from: erockrph

I also leave the fermentation alone. The times I open the fermentation fridge during a fermentation is less then 6 times. Tcontrol gives me more information than looking into the fermentation fridge.

Tcontrol can also be your way to monitor and adjust your temps and fermentation speed. More people in the world use it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:09:06 pm by Henielma »
Automated mashing and fermentation is not so strange

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »
Quote from: erockrph

I also leave the fermentation alone. The times I open the fermentation fridge during a fermentation is less then 6 times. Tcontrol gives me more information than looking into the fermentation fridge.

Tcontrol can also be your way to monitor and adjust your temps and fermentation speed. More people in the world use it.

I agreed with Eric from the standpoint that I am confident in my brewing and what I know I need to do (or not do) to make good beer within my budget. Having said that, I love the idea of being able to monitor and understand my fermentations even better. I admire what you do. But I have temp control which is the critical thing. Cheers!
Jon H.

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 03:16:21 am »
But I have temp control which is the critical thing. Cheers!

You are completely right, temp control during the fermentation is the key to good beer at least when you have also the possibility to cool during the fermentation peak.

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 04:30:27 am »
Yesterday I added for the 10 liter 10 gram Cascade and 20 gram Amarillo hop bells as cold hop.

The weather is very warm here for this time of year so Tcontrol started the fridge again to keep the temperature around the 21 degrees C. The yellow curve is the ambient temperature at my home brewery. Seven days I will keep this beer with the hop and then keg the beer.

The fermentation is almost over, only 0.11 liter CO2 is produced per hour the last few days.

The orange curve is the ADF. This is not rising anymore. Almost 80% ADF is reached.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 10:08:15 am »
i like it! ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 03:56:48 pm »
i like it! ;D

Thank you.  :)

Today after one week cold hopping this beer I have kegged this beer. During the cold hopping the beer became clear. The final SG is 1016. It was precise one 2.5 Gallon keg.

The red curve is the young beer temperature in Celsius. When I click on the °C button the temperatures switches to Farenheit.
The fermentation was since 22 October over as you can see looking to the purple curve here above. This fermentation was very calm. With other fermentation's I see a fermentation peak of 15 till 25 liter CO2 per hour. Now the peak was only 4 liter per hour.

Most important is that this beer taste already very well even without CO2. Now the keg is forced carbonated with 2.5 Bar at 20 °C during a few days.

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 02:40:55 pm »
In the weekend I made a starter from 50 ml Westmalle slurry that I have in my fridge. To get an idea when the yeast activity is on its return I connected Tcontrol with the CO2 production sensor.

Photo after 13 hours of the 1 liter starter. At this time I connected the temperature sensor to the starter.

After 15 hours the first 0.2 liter CO2 was measured. This was longer then I expected.

The red temperature cure is rising due to the stirring and due to the yeast activity. The yellow curve is the ambient temperature.

The purple curve is the production in time of the CO2 of the starter. Yesterday at 23:00 after 27 hours I decided that the yeast activity peak was over and put the starter in the fridge. At Wednesday I will use the decanted starter to make a Belgium Blond beer.

This picture is made just before the starter went to the fridge.