Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shortening Serving Lines  (Read 2183 times)

Offline wardens355

• 1st Kit
Shortening Serving Lines
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:55:17 pm »
I am currently trying to reduce the amount of serving tube I have to deal with for my freezer setup. I use picnic taps, no collar, 14.8 CF freezer with 8 kegs and a 20# CO2 tank. Right now I am at a serving pressure of 12-13 psi, 42F. I have several kegs with 10' to 12' of 3/16" Ultra Barrier Silver tubing. I was unhappy with having to use so much tubing to serve my beer at proper carb pressure, so I ordered some 1/8" Tygon tubing to shorten my tubing. I also ordered 1/8" x 1/4" barbs and use about an inch or so of 3/16" tube to connect to a picnic tap.

I hooked up a few lines to the kegs and they are pouring great. No foamy mess at all, and I think I could use 2' - 3' for a good pour. I call it success. Will use this setup moving forward and won't have to have big coils of tubing on top of each keg.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Shortening Serving Lines
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:29:07 am »
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/resistive-gate-draft-beer-flow-control

I have the smaller epoxy mixers in my 3/16" line (not in the dip tube).  Works great at 12#, 45deg.  Oh, and my serving lines are 6 INCHES long!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline wardens355

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:17:12 am »
I have the smaller epoxy mixers in my 3/16" line (not in the dip tube).  Works great at 12#, 45deg.  Oh, and my serving lines are 6 INCHES long!

That's awesome.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:07:21 pm »
I am currently trying to reduce the amount of serving tube I have to deal with for my freezer setup. I use picnic taps, no collar, 14.8 CF freezer with 8 kegs and a 20# CO2 tank. Right now I am at a serving pressure of 12-13 psi, 42F. I have several kegs with 10' to 12' of 3/16" Ultra Barrier Silver tubing. I was unhappy with having to use so much tubing to serve my beer at proper carb pressure, so I ordered some 1/8" Tygon tubing to shorten my tubing. I also ordered 1/8" x 1/4" barbs and use about an inch or so of 3/16" tube to connect to a picnic tap.

I hooked up a few lines to the kegs and they are pouring great. No foamy mess at all, and I think I could use 2' - 3' for a good pour. I call it success. Will use this setup moving forward and won't have to have big coils of tubing on top of each keg.

how about no lines at all:
http://fermentap.com/products/faucet-quick-disconnect-assembly.html

i exclusively use these now. doesn't get any more "direct draw" than this. east to take apart and clean. simple design.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:08:04 am »

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/resistive-gate-draft-beer-flow-control

I do the same but in the dip tube. For highly carbonated beers, I'll use two or three. I hate serving/drinking undercarbonated wheat beers, Belgians, etc.!