Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smooth finish on a brew... Help on what might have caused it?  (Read 3202 times)

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
Smooth finish on a brew... Help on what might have caused it?
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:46:30 pm »
I brewed the following recipe this summer and ended up with a pale ale with an incredibly smooth finish.  It seemed to be just what I wanted after about 6 weeks in the keg.   I would like to try to get this finish in a few of my other recipes, but I don't have a lot of brew time for experimentation (brew once a month and have four kids with plenty of activities) and was wondering if any had recommendations/ideas/input on what might have contributed to this finish?  or could this be multiple things in combination?   I was thinking maybe to a couple batches with wy1450 and different low alpha acid hops and doing a 5 gal. batch and fermenting 2 2.5 gal buckets with different yeasts.  To further complicate things I switched to a cooler setup where this batch was done when I was doing BIAB, so maybe I should do a no sparge with a thin mash?  If I keep adding test cases/scenarios, It would be over a year before I figure this one out.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.76 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
12 lbs                Pale Malt; American (Farm Boy Farms) (6. Grain         1        100.0 %       
0.75 oz               Cascade [6.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min   Hop           2        15.7 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           3        11.0 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           4        9.4 IBUs     
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)        Fining        5        -             
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Wyeast) (Boil 10.0 mins) Other         6        -             
1.00 oz               Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           7        0.0 IBUs     
1.0 pkg               Denny’s Favorite 50 (Wyeast Labs #1450)  Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperature        Step Time           
Saccharification  Add 8.64 gal of water at 162.2 F        155.0 F                 75 min               
Mash Out          Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min              168.0 F                 10 min               

-Tony

Offline colinhayes

• Cellarman
Re: Smooth finish on a brew... Help on what might have caused it?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »
Could be the first wort hopping?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:51:26 pm »
Smooth is kind of hard to diagnose from a distance but one thing pops out at me. You have your FWH at 60 min, when its probably perceived as more like a 20 min. So probably its a combo of that and ph

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:52:40 pm »
Nothing about that pale ale recipe stands out as "bitter" or "harsh", so I would expect a "smooth" beer with the recipe given.  FWH, in my book, are simply bittering hops with an added few IBUs - nothing about them is perceived as extra "smooth" to me.  Take a pale ale with relatively low BU:GU ratio, couple it with a yeast that takes it's time to flocclate, and by the time the beer clears it should be well aged and mellowed due to yeast-isoalpha acid bonding and flocculation.  I would try it again exactly as you have detailed.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:13:39 am »
Thanks for insight.  I think I am going to try and reproduce the current on my new cooler setup, then take it from there staying with fwh/yeast and changing the grist, then hops.
-Tony

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:17:31 am »
So you added 8.64 gals. To the mash with no sparge ?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:23 am »
Thanks for insight.  I think I am going to try and reproduce the current on my new cooler setup, then take it from there staying with fwh/yeast and changing the grist, then hops.

I think you may have to define what you mean by "smooth finish".  But I agree that both the FWH and the yeast could contribute to what I imagine you mean.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:09:15 am »
So you added 8.64 gals. To the mash with no sparge ?
I was doing a BIAB... mashed with full volume and just removed the bag with grains.
-Tony

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:12:15 am »

I think you may have to define what you mean by "smooth finish".  But I agree that both the FWH and the yeast could contribute to what I imagine you mean.
Yeah... I agree, gotta work on that description too when I brew the next batch.
-Tony

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »
What I think he means is that smooth is a texture so its describing the mouthfeel. But I'll bet you mean flavor.

Offline epic1856

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:14 am »
I brewed the following recipe this summer and ended up with a pale ale with an incredibly smooth finish.  It seemed to be just what I wanted after about 6 weeks in the keg.          

I think it has less to do with the recipe and more with aging. You didnt say how it was stored for 6 weeks, but you may have accidentally lagered the beer. Some of the benefits of lagering I found; http://www.homebrewing.org/Lagering--Chapter-1-Common-Misconceptions_ep_58-1.html

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
the times I have used Denny's 50 versus Chico, I've always felt it was 'smoother' than the same recipe with Chico.  I prefer that type finish in ambers, american browns and american porters, not so much in APA or IPAs. 

Maybe that is what you're getting. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 12:49:35 pm »
the times I have used Denny's 50 versus Chico, I've always felt it was 'smoother' than the same recipe with Chico.  I prefer that type finish in ambers, american browns and american porters, not so much in APA or IPAs. 

Maybe that is what you're getting. 

+1.  I notice that too, which is why I like 1450 for those styles - the softer, maltier mouthfeel or whatever.  Which is also why I don't use it for APA and IPA.  Good call.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »
Age plus yeast choice but FWH with no 60 minute addition.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 04:04:09 pm »
I brewed the following recipe this summer and ended up with a pale ale with an incredibly smooth finish.  It seemed to be just what I wanted after about 6 weeks in the keg.          

I think it has less to do with the recipe and more with aging. You didnt say how it was stored for 6 weeks, but you may have accidentally lagered the beer. Some of the benefits of lagering I found; http://www.homebrewing.org/Lagering--Chapter-1-Common-Misconceptions_ep_58-1.html
My kegerator is set for 41 degrees, if that helps shed a little light on things.   My kegerator only holds two kegs, so i generally kick em in 8 weeks or less.
-Tony