Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dilluting at Bottling Mistake  (Read 2385 times)

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Dilluting at Bottling Mistake
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:49:11 am »
I recently brewed a batch of Hefe and was a little less than a gallon shy in the primary/  I didn't get around to diluting till kegging it and did so with bottled spring water last night.  Now that I am thinking about it, I probably should have boiled my bottled water before diluting it to drive out dissolved oxygen.

I am trying to weigh my options right now.  I am thinking I could slowly bubble some CO2 through the out line to try and drive off the O2.  This would result in reduced head formation later but I am sure I could make some serving condition adjustments to counter this

Or I might just add some priming sugar and fresh yeast to try to utilize the excess O2.  I am not sure at this stage how much yeast propagation/O2 utilization will take place.  Or I could add some additional sugars and put an air lock on the keg.  Excessive yeast wouldn't be too much of a concern with a Hefeweizen.  I brewed a fresh batch last night, so I have some krausen available if I want to use it.

Does anybody know how much dissolved O2 is present in bottled spring water?  Or how much could be used up in natural priming?

Right now I am leaning towards stealing 1/2 a gallon from the kegged beer and adding it to the fermenting beer and then replacing it with the rapidly fermenting beer.  Or I could just put it in the kegerator, lower the kegerator temp and try to drink it quickly  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dilluting at Bottling Mistake
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:39:13 am »
I'd bet that if you drink the beer in the next couple months you won't notice any ill effects.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Dilluting at Bottling Mistake
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:22:38 pm »
I'd agree w/Denny, & quote Pappy "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew."
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­