Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 15  (Read 6594 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
NHC 15
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:19:45 pm »
It can't be too soon to start planning yet? What are you entering this year. For me, I got a 40 (38/42) on my Scottish so I'm going for it again. The National level judge picked up oxidation and gave it a 42. The rank pending said it was lacking peat earth. So I'm going to change one thing. I'm bottle conditioning instead of bottling off the keg. Fingers crossed.

Then I'm cheating. Entering my peat earth lacking Scott as a Northern English Brown since my wife can't tell it apart from New Castle Brown. Then I'm doing one with more hops to enter as a Special Bitter.

Depending on how my NW Wild turns out I might enter it as am American Mixed Fermentation 28b in new guidelines, if they decide to use them this year.

So 3 maybe 4 entries planned.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: NHC 15
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:26:51 am »
I had hoped we'd see the new styles, even if we were stuck with the existing 28 categories, or a similar number.  Going to 40 categories would seriously limit the number of First Round regions, and thus the size of the competition.

curious how they'll eventually switch to 2014 guidelines for 2016.  Combining some small categories?
hmm...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:44:23 am by udubdawg »

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:24 am »
I seem to be winning more medals in Cider and Mead than beer recently, so I may just enter those this year.  Of course it all depends on how the selection process goes with the comp too.  Last year was relatively stress free, but who know what this year will bring.  You never know, it may be limited to just 1 or 2 entries.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:03:15 am »
I'm going to be moving across country soon so I'm not going to get the chance to brew much for the comp this year. So that means It's going to have to be pretty much all aged beers this year. Maybe a mead that I've had sitting around for 4 or 5 years too.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:38:41 am »
It can't be too soon to start planning yet? What are you entering this year. For me, I got a 40 (38/42) on my Scottish so I'm going for it again. The National level judge picked up oxidation and gave it a 42. The rank pending said it was lacking peat earth. So I'm going to change one thing. I'm bottle conditioning instead of bottling off the keg. Fingers crossed.

Then I'm cheating. Entering my peat earth lacking Scott as a Northern English Brown since my wife can't tell it apart from New Castle Brown. Then I'm doing one with more hops to enter as a Special Bitter.

Depending on how my NW Wild turns out I might enter it as am American Mixed Fermentation 28b in new guidelines, if they decide to use them this year.

Hi Jim,

The proposed 2014 BJCP Style Guidelines will not be finalized soon enough to use in the 2015 National Homebrew Competition (NHC).  We will use the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines for the upcoming 2015 NHC, and we will transition to the new BJCP guidelines for the 2016 NHC.

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 11:14:28 am »
I'm going to be moving across country soon so I'm not going to get the chance to brew much for the comp this year. So that means It's going to have to be pretty much all aged beers this year. Maybe a mead that I've had sitting around for 4 or 5 years too.

Coming back to VT?
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:16:10 am »

Coming back to VT?

yuppers! finally. came out to california for 2 years so my wife could get her masters degree. been here for nearly 7. time to go home.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »
Every year I think about entering NHC or some other homebrewing competition but then I never get around to designing something to fit the competition styles.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »
Every year I think about entering NHC or some other homebrewing competition but then I never get around to designing something to fit the competition styles.

Category 23 - Specialty
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 01:43:51 pm »

Category 23 - Specialty

or 16E if you roll with the belgians
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 04:09:53 pm »

Hi Jim,

The proposed 2014 BJCP Style Guidelines will not be finalized soon enough to use in the 2015 National Homebrew Competition (NHC).  We will use the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines for the upcoming 2015 NHC, and we will transition to the new BJCP guidelines for the 2016 NHC.

Cheers,
Janis

Good to know that. Thanks Janis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 02:29:57 pm »

Coming back to VT?

yuppers! finally. came out to california for 2 years so my wife could get her masters degree. been here for nearly 7. time to go home.
Welcome back to Vermont. This is it 3 weeks ago with a beer. Well, the foreground is Vermont, the far shore N.H.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:31:28 pm by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »
well now I'm thirsty!

thanks. really looking forward to it.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 02:28:24 am »
Kick off tomorrow! I have 1728 on the stirplate now. Boiling the first gallon down to scary. And tryin to be meticulous with everything else. Then Sunday I think I'll throw together an APA just for fun and tap variety, not for competition.

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 07:08:47 am »
most of the regions and dates are on the BJCP calendar, just fyi.

bummer no KC region, but they deserve a break.  Also sucks Easter is in the middle there and so many regions are on one weekend, but I suspect there's nothing else that could be done - the spring gets awfully busy with events/comps.  Still, those 4/10 regions are going to have to store entries for 5 weeks or so before they ever judge them.   :-\

cheers--
--Michael