Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How and when did you get started with homebrew  (Read 8637 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: How and when did you get started with homebrew
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2014, 05:58:57 am »
Come on ladies- I know you're out there lets here your story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline gkelley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2014, 06:15:19 am »
College in '95 in Cleveland.  Edme beer kit from some place in Colorado.  It came with a great bottle capper that I still use.  Also use the fermenter from that kit although I'm about to retire it.  First batch was crappy beer with the nastiest after taste.  But I caught the bug improved my skills and love it.

Offline petecobb

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 07:53:04 am »
My wife bought me a starter kit for my first Father's Day, 1980!  Started with extract beers, bottled, and worked my way up to all grain, kegged, including nitro pour.
Cheers!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2014, 04:55:58 pm »
I started saving bottles in the late 80's with the idea that one day I would brew beer and need them.  In 1992 we moved to a new much bigger house, my wife decided if I was going to haul crates of empty bottles I should start learning to fill them.  She bought me my first kit 5 gallon setup and it was off to the races from there.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2014, 06:36:38 pm »
I started saving bottles in the late 80's with the idea that one day I would brew beer and need them.  In 1992 we moved to a new much bigger house, my wife decided if I was going to haul crates of empty bottles I should start learning to fill them.  She bought me my first kit 5 gallon setup and it was off to the races from there.

Dang, 12 years of bottles would be a barn full for me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2014, 06:47:29 pm »

Dang, 12 years of bottles would be a barn full for me.

No joke. Maybe a warehouse full, especially in my younger years.
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »
I started brewing in early 1993. My interest in brewing was sparked when a good friend and former shipmate started brewing in late 1992.  I was not much of beer drinker at that point in time, but brewing had the creative and scientific elements that drew me to my profession. 

Bruce's Dogbolter was the third and last kit beer that I made before switching over to making beer from extract, specialty grains, and hops.  It was also the last batch of beer that I made with dry yeast for over twenty years.  I brewed my fourth batch of beer with yeast that I cultured from a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  It was such an eye-opening experience that I dove head first into yeast culturing, which became a hobby unto itself.

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2014, 11:23:50 pm »
For my first Father's Day in 2011 my wife and her friend bought myself and her husband a deal at the local on premises place.  We brewed there and had a lot of fun despite poor instruction.  They lost our batch (a common occurrence at this place) we ended up reading a few books each and rebrewed there a few weeks later.  Being a scientist (me) and an engineer (my buddy Ryan) we were not content with the recipes they had available.  We put together our own recipe and went back.  We were pleased with the results and decided to get setup at home.  I spent the next 6 months reading like crazy and got my first equipment for Christmas 2011. I brewed my first 5 gal batch on new year's day 2012. Just brewed batch 51 at home plus a few more at friends houses and the local brewery.  Ryan started doing 1 gallon batches about the same time and just jumped to 10 gal a few weeks ago.

Our wives say it was the most expensive father's day present ever.
- Charles

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 12:29:22 pm »
I was in my first year of teaching, and I decided to make some naturally-carbonated root beer with my 7th grade science class.  After that project, it occurred to me, "Hey!  If I can make root beer, I can make real beer too."  Then I remembered that my friend's dad Curt was a brewer, so I made contact with him and we made plans to brew an extract batch together.

After that, he gave me a basic set of equipment and a copy of TCJOHB.  I devoured that book and brewed my first batch (Papazian's "Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale") on Feb 17, 2005.  It was actually really good - smooth and dark with no flaws.  I jumped right in, brewing once or twice a month for a couple years. 

So now I'm coming up on my 10-year anniversary (better take that day off work!) and still extremely passionate about the hobby.  I make sure to give Curt samples from time to time, and I also teach beginner's brewing classes at his restaurant supply shop/LHBS.  I'm really lucky to have had somebody to get me going like that, and I get a lot of satisfaction from  getting new brewers started on the right path. 

Cheers!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 12:46:56 pm »
After that, he gave me a basic set of equipment and a copy of TCJOHB.  I devoured that book and brewed my first batch (Papazian's "Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale") on Feb 17, 2005.  It was actually really good - smooth and dark with no flaws. 

Like many old-timers, I learned how to brew using a copy of TCJOHB.   I gave my stained and dogeared copy away years ago.  My favorite recipe out of that book was "Rocky Racoon's Crystal Honey Lager."  It's surprising how well beer made from that recipe tests with beer drinkers.  I plan to make a batch next Spring for the heck of it.

Offline Titanium Brewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • Westchester, CA
    • The Peoples Republic of the Garage™
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 03:38:08 pm »
Wife got me a Mr. Beer kit, X-Mas 2004.
AHA #210799

My wife said I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn laughing.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2014, 08:51:09 am »
For my first Father's Day in 2011 my wife and her friend bought myself and her husband a deal at the local on premises place.  We brewed there and had a lot of fun despite poor instruction.  They lost our batch (a common occurrence at this place) we ended up reading a few books each and rebrewed there a few weeks later.  Being a scientist (me) and an engineer (my buddy Ryan) we were not content with the recipes they had available.  We put together our own recipe and went back.  We were pleased with the results and decided to get setup at home.  I spent the next 6 months reading like crazy and got my first equipment for Christmas 2011. I brewed my first 5 gal batch on new year's day 2012. Just brewed batch 51 at home plus a few more at friends houses and the local brewery.  Ryan started doing 1 gallon batches about the same time and just jumped to 10 gal a few weeks ago.

hmm seems like ive heard the word "expensive"  from my wife a few times    ;D
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2014, 10:23:26 am »

hmm seems like ive heard the word "expensive"  from my wife a few times    ;D
That's funny, I swear my wife calls it "expansive". I always assumed she was referring to my depth of knowledge on brewing having grown so much. Maybe she was referring to my credit card bill all along...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2014, 11:24:16 am »
It certainly has become an expansive hobby. Close to half my garage now
- Charles

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN