Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flashback Brewday  (Read 4430 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Flashback Brewday
« on: November 04, 2014, 08:49:46 pm »
The thread on how we all got started gave me an idea. My next brewing weekend wont be for Christmas 3 or 4 weeks, but I'm going to rebrew my very first beer. A morebeer porter extract kit with US05, but using my current fermentation equipment.

Might be fun if a bunch of us joined in. Kind of a walk down memory lane.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Flashback Brewday
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 08:57:43 pm »
My first kit a was hefe from the crappiest store known to man. Not sure how I would go about making stale extract in short notice. I would also need to leave the hops and dry yeast in ziploc bags next to the window for a few months. Can't forget the maltodextrin "kicker". At least the capper still works.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:11:05 pm »
Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale.

Bottled in those thin plastic Arrowhead water bottles which leaked all the C02 out so every one was flat.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 11:17:49 pm »
Wow! My first batch is long gone to the mysteries of time. It was an extract/specialty grain pale ale from Liberty Malt Supply in Pike Street Market. It was this: http://anyandallauctions.com/micro-brewery-home-brew-kit-by-alephenalia--lot4654.aspx

I brewed a lacto-infected mess that got me addicted to brewing.
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:00:37 am »
Well, I'm not going to brew it with all the mistakes I made. The point is to see how much better it is now that you know something and have some decent equipment.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 04:44:40 am »
First homebrew was an extract London Porter from the place my wife bought my homebrew supply kit for my birthday.

https://www.homebrewery.com 

Ralph R.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 05:02:20 am »
I like it Jim, my first batch has been on my list of re-brews, but is was looking for it AG style. I may go back and do it extract with grains again on my 2 year anniversary of brewing in June next year because it would be great to see what I would hope would be great improvement,
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:45 am »
Cool idea but I'm not going back to Mr. Beer lol

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 05:27:45 am »
I like it Jim, my first batch has been on my list of re-brews, but is was looking for it AG style. I may go back and do it extract with grains again on my 2 year anniversary of brewing in June next year because it would be great to see what I would hope would be great improvement,

Exactly my thought

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:12:17 am »
Mine was an extract w/steeping grains clone kit of Otter Creek Copper Ale from Austin Homebrew Supply using Nottingham yeast. My big mistakes were going the wrong way with my temperature ramping (pitched at 68, then brought it down to 60F after 3 days), and using the whole 5oz of corn sugar to prime. I ended up with an overcarbonated butter bomb.

I don't think I'd ever rebrew that kit specifically, because I don't think it's a good clone, but I would definitely take a stab at brewing my own clone armed with my current brewing knowledge and past experience.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 07:42:02 am »
Memory lane... my first brew was an ambitions attempt at Rochefort 10, using the unfortunate recipe from "Beer Captured".  I think I ended up with less wort than intended, and the yeast died at 12% alcohol still at 1.030 or something.    ???

My second was an all-grain attempt at Hop Devil, also from Beer Captured.

It's a cool idea, but I think I'd prefer not to brew any recipes from that book.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 07:53:37 am »
My first was an oatmeal stout kit, extract with grains. I don't think it was a clone, I think it was packaged by the LHBS. Unfortunately I already knew enough and followed recipes to make decent beer the first few times. I say unfortunately because it lead to me believing I knew what I was doing for a couple years. I think I would have learned faster with a couple early failures. It was moving to all grain and then joining this forum that has humbled me enough to really start learning.
I still have the original recipe and notes, so maybe I'll try it all grain.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 08:07:26 am »
My first as mentioned in the other post was mr.beer. Nope, not doing it!  My first real attempt at beer was an American golden ale kit, and not so inclined to do that either. I will have to look at my first all grain as I can't remember what it was- something simple I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 08:42:35 am »
My first beer was an extract pale ale that I changed the hop schedule. It turned out great! I have attempted an all grain version of it a few times without success. I think I need to make another attempt soon.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 09:07:29 am »
I'd have to find some crappy old extract and yeast. The ingredients weren't that great 22 years ago. The beer was still better than most of what was available back then. That being said, I might do a kit just for kicks.

Bruce