Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop bill advice  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hop bill advice
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:46:33 am »
Brewed this as a test batch for my wedding beers and it is way too dank for the masses. The columbus takes center stage. Can get the mosaic, but the centennial and cascade give up the fight. Overall, I like it, but it certainly is an acquired taste.

Think this should work as the final version?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop bill advice
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:01 am »
Yeah, that should give you the pine from Columbus but let the other hops shine more. Even an oz of Columbus dry comes through - I think it's especially intense dry. Looks good !
Jon H.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:15 am »
it is way too dank for the masses.

I was thinking your modification in dankness
might be a bit subtle for the masses?
  Does dank just refer to aroma?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:08:00 am »
It tastes of good stinky weed.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:21:58 am »

That's what I hear.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 02:33:16 pm »

.... Well... What type of crowd do you have coming  ;)
Frank

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 03:13:06 pm »
I'm going to put out a couple options....

First one is to just bitter with columbus instead of magnum and finish with your cascade, centennial and mosaic. The dankness will be there, but just in the bitterness and not flavor and aroma.

Second option is to blend a touch of chinook to your flavor additions. Probably a fourth of the cents and mosaic. Also cut the columbus down like you did in your revised recipe. I find that chinook will enhance centennials a bit and blend well to subdue the Columbus a bit. It will add a hint of piny-ness to counteract the dankness of the Columbus.

Though I've done it and like late additions of Columbus in IPA's, I primarily use them to bitter all of my IPA's. It adds that dank dimension without being front and center.
Frank

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »

First one is to just bitter with columbus instead of magnum and finish with your cascade, centennial and mosaic. The dankness will be there, but just in the bitterness and not flavor and aroma.
This is why I moved some columbus to 20. I want some of that strong/harsh columbus flavor. I think it helps give a backbone to the overall flavor. Maybe I'll do both. Unsure if I want to bring the cascade back.

The more I drink it, the more I like it. I may just leave it as is and let those that don't like it drink one of the other four beers. I guess we will see tomorrow during "the big game".

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 05:42:06 am »

This is why I moved some columbus to 20. I want some of that strong/harsh columbus flavor. I think it helps give a backbone to the overall flavor. Maybe I'll do both. Unsure if I want to bring the cascade back.

The more I drink it, the more I like it. I may just leave it as is and let those that don't like it drink one of the other four beers. I guess we will see tomorrow during "the big game".

Yeah. They'll drink it. I had four beers on tap at my wedding. A cherry wheat, a very mild, smooth golden ale lightly hopped with Citra and galaxy, an APA finished with only cascade, and an IPA with C hops. The pale ale went first (not surprised), then the IPA (surprised), golden ale and lastly the cherry wheat.

You have to think, people who like IPAs are going to drink several of them, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. The ladies liked the cherry wheat, but they only drink one or two. So, the guys drinking the IPAs didn't touch this until the IPAs were gone. The golden ale appeased a lot of the BMC drinkers. I wouldn't fret too much about it, they'll drink it. Besides, it's your wedding! I was worried about having an IPA altogether and was going to go with two different APAs. Until I said screw it and wanted to drink an IPA at my wedding lol. "Hoppily Ever After"... That was the name lol.

Also another thing that helps non craft beer drinkers at an event like this is to put together a nice beer menu that includes a great description of the beers and ABV.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:48:33 am by fmader »
Frank