Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Which hombrew supplier are you most likely to use and recommend?

Adventure In Homebrewing
3 (17.6%)
Home Brew Stuff
2 (11.8%)
Midwest Brewer's Supply
0 (0%)
More Beer
6 (35.3%)
Northern Brewer
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 02, 2015, 03:25:08 pm

Author Topic: Homebrew Suppliers  (Read 3000 times)

Offline tress

• Cellarman
  • Drink Great Beer
Re: Homebrew Suppliers
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 09:02:38 pm »
In my early years of homebrewing, I had ordered all of my ingredients and equipment from Midwest and Northern Brewer.  However, my adventures led me to the realization that I now don't have to pay for the huge shipping cost by shopping at two LHBS near me, one of which I now exclusively buy all of my stuff (thanks Grow Masters in Gurnee, IL).

They know me by name and are always very helpful with advice and bargains.  There is nothing wrong with buying from the big shops that will ship to you for a premium but I would highly suggest you support your local shop first if you have one close enough to you.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution." - Dan Castellaneta

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 11:34:08 am »
There are several I'd recommend, many of which are not on the list. Lots of good choices out there.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 11:47:07 am »
I have ordered stuff from most all of the online major players and had good luck. But I'm a believer in supporting your LHBS if you're lucky enough to have a good one (and I do) . Mine is Great Fermentations in Indy. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, selection is fresh and great. They sell primarily all Wyeast as their liquid brand, so turnover (on all ingredients) is high, ie., freshness is good. Plus there's a killer nano next door. Win-win.
Jon H.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 12:03:03 pm »
I'll plug my two LHBSs:

Beer-wine hobby in Woburn, MA
Cambridge Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge, MA

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »
I'll plug my two LHBSs:

Beer-wine hobby in Woburn, MA
Cambridge Homebrew Emporium in Cambridge, MA

I haven't been to Beer-Wine Hobby in years since I moved to NH...not the easiest place to find.  Glad they are still in business.

I've found Morebeer to be a lot better since they opened their East Coast facility.  I will try to get stuff from my LHBS (A&G Homebrew in Portsmouth) when they have what I need.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »
I like to support the LHBS, but I don't always have the time to drive there and shop. I find that shopping online only takes a few minutes, and I can actually do it a bit at a time by dropping things into my shopping cart as they run out and checkout when I know that I need something at a specific time, like if I'm brewing next weekend. Shipping costs don't bother me much because to drive to the LHBS not only takes time but also burns a few gallons of gasoline which isn't cheap or environmentally sound.

I usually use Northern Brewer (fresh ingredients and good selection) and Adventures in Homebrewing.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline blackislandbrewer

• Cellarman
  • An Ode to Beer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 09:55:04 am »
When I'm buying sundries and yeast, I have two LHBS options within 5 miles of me, and if I go to 20 miles, I've got 6 options. My biggest frustration with all of the LHBS options is that not one of them identifies the maltsters on their grain bins, and at least one of them switches maltsters without any warning. So when I'm looking for exact grain bills, I shop online, with my favorite being Brewmasters Warehouse. I prefer to buy my hops in bulk directly from the growers (or the growers' retail arms) and I like to buy my grains by the bag. Sometimes I'm amazed at the differences in bag prices between the LHBS's for the exact same grain, so even though it isn't local, there is a homebrew supply outside of Portland (Main Street Homebrew Supply) that I stop at when I'm in the area to stock up on bags.
David
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I read most of the posts on homebrewing forums, I hear them in the voice of the Comic Book Guy from "The Simpsons"