Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Overly carbonated and overly bitter  (Read 1176 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Overly carbonated and overly bitter
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:14:32 pm »
So I made an English Bitter. I tried it prior to bottling and it was spot on.  It's now been 1.5 weeks since bottling and it's over carbed and seems a little hot/dry/off.  I think the over carbonation is hurting the flavor.  Can I open all of the bottles, let some gas out, and then recap?  Will that solve my problem?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Overly carbonated and overly bitter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 09:35:36 pm »
Yes, you can de carbonate as you seek to do, but should you?  That is a much harder question.  Why did it overcarbonate in the first place?  If an infection, then you probably have issues that are not so easily resolved.  If simply bottled before fermentation was complete, then maybe you will be okay with that process.  I rarely rack before finally hitting terminal gravity - but you don't know based on what was submitted here.  If you know based on a fast ferment test, then you can answer your question by checking FG.

If it is merely over carbonation - you should be able to pour and allow the beer to settle.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:37:39 pm by ynotbrusum »
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 01:29:48 am »
I figured it over carbonated because: 1) maybe I added too much priming sugar.  I wouldn't think that was the case, but maybe.  2) I added a little dry yeast to each bottle before capping.  I did this because I crash cooled the beer to help clarify it a little.  If I put too much dry yeast in the bottle would that have picked up and further fermented the beer down to a lower final gravity?  I originally used WLP002. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:10:34 am »
There is typically enough yeast remaining to carbonate, even after cold crashing, unless you lagered it for an extremely long time, for what it is worth.  As long as the beers are not gushing, you can open each and re-cap at this point, but if it is too dry or solventy hot, that won't correct by doing so.

Did you ferment a bit too warm maybe?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"