Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: ABInBev acquires 10 Barrel Brewing  (Read 2017 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
ABInBev acquires 10 Barrel Brewing
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:01:00 pm »
I just thought I would share this and see what everyone else's thoughts are.

Here is the Article

I wonder how the beer is going to change, and I certainly don't like the idea of more craft breweries being bought up by the big guys. However, I hope the beer stays good and I hope it works out the best for them.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: ABInBev acquires 10 Barrel Brewing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 01:02:00 pm »
I have been there twice. Liked the beer a lot, loved sitting by the fire pit.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
Won't be the last. Hopefully they will be able to operate fairly autonomously.

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 04:21:06 pm »
Boy, I hate to see that. It's been a stop for us the last few times we been in Bend and always enjoyed it. Haven't been to the other ones in Boise and Portland.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:38:56 pm »
good for them. I bet they made out like bandits. If the price was right I'd sell Yellowhammer in a half heart beat. And have a b****in' homebrew rig to boot. ;)

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »

good for them. I bet they made out like bandits. If the price was right I'd sell Yellowhammer in a half heart beat. And have a b****in' homebrew rig to boot. ;)
The American dream: Make it great enough that it gets big enough that the big boys want to buy it. Right there with you Keith. It's not as good for the consumer, but everyone needs an exit strategy, and know how/when to use it
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:01:44 pm »
Personally, I haven't noticed any decline in the quality of beers coming from Goose Island since AB InBev took over. The only thing I've noticed is a wider availability of their products.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:50 pm »
Personally, I haven't noticed any decline in the quality of beers coming from Goose Island since AB InBev took over. The only thing I've noticed is a wider availability of their products.

I think their beers are slightly more pedestrian, but still good. What I definitely notice is that AB uses GI to take over local brewery taps. Obviously this is the plan. So drink local, folks!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
Yes, don't think I've even bought Goose Island since the buyout. Definitely focused on drink local, plus Stone!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline jeffjm

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 07:03:00 am »
Every once in a while I find myself obligated to go someplace that used to carry both kinds of beer, bud and bud light. These places now tend to have GI, which is a welcome change.
I set out running but I take my time.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 08:28:11 am »
For us here in Texas we did not get GI before the buyout. Now we get everything. Well, we haven't seen some of the BCBS variants yet but I am sure they are coming this year. So the buyout has worked out ok for us. Apparently the more expensive beers aren't selling like AB thought because I've seen the 750ml beers disappearing from all the grocery stores where they used to be. I swiped several bottles on clearance for $5 last week so I can't complain.

10 Barrel makes sense as a target for AB. They have a brewpub model that can be expanded plus a production facility and they already distribute around the PNW. Excellent choice for a regional craft player.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:18 am »

I think their beers are slightly more pedestrian, but still good. What I definitely notice is that AB uses GI to take over local brewery taps. Obviously this is the plan. So drink local, folks!
They are still local to me  ;) They have a pretty good APA called Green Line that is draft only and only in Chicago. That often shows up on tap with nothing but other macros, so it's a nice option.

BCBS has never been that interesting to me, but I love a Mathilda now and then.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:17:29 am »

They are still local to me  ;) They have a pretty good APA called Green Line that is draft only and only in Chicago. That often shows up on tap with nothing but other macros, so it's a nice option.

BCBS has never been that interesting to me, but I love a Mathilda now and then.

We have a pub with Green Line down here in Champaign. It is one of my favorites. I really enjoyed Madame Rose and Lolita when I had them as well.
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »

For us here in Texas we did not get GI before the buyout. Now we get everything. Well, we haven't seen some of the BCBS variants yet but I am sure they are coming this year. So the buyout has worked out ok for us. Apparently the more expensive beers aren't selling like AB thought because I've seen the 750ml beers disappearing from all the grocery stores where they used to be. I swiped several bottles on clearance for $5 last week so I can't complain.
I'd buy $5 Juliet by the truckload...

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer