Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "Germerican IPA"  (Read 3582 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
"Germerican IPA"
« on: November 05, 2014, 12:31:02 pm »
I received an email from Label Peelers that they are offering a new IPA. Their description roughly says it is in tribute to first known hop cultivation in Germany many years ago. The story is not all that important, so facts be damned. I think the general idea sounds good: American IPA with German influence. Their kit calls for American extract plus German specialty malts(nothing named specifically) and newish German hops: Mandarina Bavaria and Hull Melon(both named). I would like to try to put something like this together but in all grain, so I was thinking:
American 2 Row 68%
Dark Munich 20%
Victory 5.5%
Vienna 5.5%
Weyerman Chocolate Rye 1%(mainly for color)
I have not used these hops before but have read about them here on the forum, but I can make a RWAG about using them. I was wondering about a good German bittering hop that might fit in here?
Their recipe calls for 42-46 IBUs, I'd likely go a little higher, close to 1:1 IBU/GU factor, and the grist is just a slight variation on what I already like in my IPA, with a little more German flourish
This is another brew for "someday" so no big rush. What are your experiences with anything along these lines, or your thoughts about the idea in general? Anything you would change drastically? Tell me if you hate it or love it and why
I suppose this appeals to me because of my love of IPA, and the little German heritage I have.

Hope I'm not stepping on any copyright issues by using the dealer's name or the name of their offering
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: "Germerican IPA"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:01:17 pm »
I brewed a beer I called a"Düsseldorf IPA", that was basically a Sticke Alt grain bill using all German hops. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how strong Polaris is and it totally drowned out the other hops I used (Smaragd and Herkules). For an IPA, I think Polaris would be a great bittering hop, but it will totally overwhelm the late hops you're planning on using if you add it late. It has a very strong resin flavor.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »
I love it ! I've used all those malts in various IPAs (except for the chocolate rye which is for color) with good results. I have some Mandarina Bavaria and am dying to use it soon - heard good things. It's a fruity Cascade offshoot supposedly. So use it like Cascade - ie., flavor/aroma additions. The Hull Melon are another even fruitier Cascade offshoot, same uses.
I totally agree with the 1:1 + BU:GU for IPA (I actually often use 1.2:1, just me), so I would use it for whatever OG you target -  ie., if you target 1.062 as your OG, then shoot for 62 IBUS, etc.  I remember one of the Stone 'Enjoy By' IPAs from a couple years ago used all new German hops, one of them the Mandarina IIRC and it was excellent. And I've used Mt Hood, which is a German Hallertau offshoot, for years in American hop blends. I say go for it - I'm likely doing something similar soon.

EDIT  -  I'm picturing something like:    70% Pils
                                                     25% Pale Munich
                                                     5% Caramunich

1.062/70 IBU

Magnum - bittering
                                                     Blend of Mandarina Bavaria/Mittelfrueh/Tettnang - whirlpool, dry

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:41:50 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:06:34 am »
Thoughts on yeast Jon? Still want some malt flavor for the German Influence, and have hops coming through as well, so...
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 08:14:50 am »
Thoughts on yeast Jon? Still want some malt flavor for the German Influence, and have hops coming through as well, so...

I'm thinking 1007. It's really clean at cool temps. Great yeast, and in keeping with the German theme.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:28:30 am »

I'm thinking 1007. It's really clean at cool temps. Great yeast, and in keeping with the German theme.

This is what I was going to say. 1007 is a very clean ale yeast.

For bittering use Perle or Tradition if the AA is high on the Tradition.

Mandarina Bavaria tasted like Mandarin Oranges, and the Hull Melon was close to melon flavors, both tasted at the SAAZ booth at club night NHC. I am going to brew an APA or IPA using lots of Mandarina Bavaria.

I have heard a couple of times that the 4 new German hops are imported by a little hop farm in MI that has established some good relationships in Germany. HopHead Farms in Hickory Corners MI.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 08:36:58 am »
Can't wait to use those hops. I may have to brew that next. That Stone Enjoy By IPA had a definite mandarin character so I'm sure they used plenty of it. I thought it was a great beer.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:48:18 am »
Yes, I think this is quickly moving from "Someday" to next IPA, if the German hops are available. It is starting to really sound good. Any other thoughts...? I think I am dropping the Choc rye, and subbing in Avangard Pils for the 2 row, thanks Jon, but still keeping the Munich II for a little more color, with Vienna about the same percentages you mentioned. Now to choose a bittering hop: i like all suggestions so far, but have not used Perle, Polaris, Tradition, or Magnum. I do have some Magnum on hand and am using some this weekend in BVIP attempt. Tell me why you would use which of these bittering hops
Frank L.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
Yes, I think this is quickly moving from "Someday" to next IPA, if the German hops are available. It is starting to really sound good. Any other thoughts...? I think I am dropping the Choc rye, and subbing in Avangard Pils for the 2 row, thanks Jon, but still keeping the Munich II for a little more color, with Vienna about the same percentages you mentioned. Now to choose a bittering hop: i like all suggestions so far, but have not used Perle, Polaris, Tradition, or Magnum. I do have some Magnum on hand and am using some this weekend in BVIP attempt. Tell me why you would use which of these bittering hops

Magnum is a 'clean' bittering hop. I was just trying to avoid a coarse bittering hop like Columbus or Chinook for this one. Of course Perle or Tradition would work great too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  EDIT  -    Sounds like Polaris could work fine as a bittering hop (only).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:01:03 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:26 am »
Yes, just playing around with this in Beersmith, default for Polaris is 21%AA, and thus gives 60.5 IBUs for a 60 minute addition. I did not plug in Perle or Tradition, so no numbers for those yet. In the end it may depend on what I can find locally. No matter what, I will likely be bittering with something I have not used before, so it will be an adventure!
Frank L.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 08:00:17 am »
That Stone Enjoy By IPA had a definite mandarin character so I'm sure they used plenty of it. I thought it was a great beer.

sure you didn't mean the Gotterdammerung 17th Anniversary?  I had a tough time with that one personally.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 08:16:47 am »
That Stone Enjoy By IPA had a definite mandarin character so I'm sure they used plenty of it. I thought it was a great beer.

sure you didn't mean the Gotterdammerung 17th Anniversary?  I had a tough time with that one personally.

Actually, yeah I think it was. I only had one bottle (traded for it) but I liked it pretty well. Definitely wasn't West Coast style but I thought it was interesting.
Jon H.