Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Westmalle Dubbel recipe wanted  (Read 6004 times)

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
Westmalle Dubbel recipe wanted
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:53:09 am »
Anyone have a good Westmalle Dubbel recipe?
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
Re: Westmalle Dubbel recipe wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »
According to BLAM, Westmalle uses 3 malts in their dubbel.  The base malt is a Belgian Pilsen malt.  They also use a "local" malt known for its aromatic properties - I'm guessing that this is Belgian Aromatic.  They also use a darker, sweeter malt.  I'm not sure what this is - I'm going to experiment with Belgian Cara 45L, Belgian Caramunich, and Special B.  Hopefully, it's something like that.

Westmalle also mixes up their hop schedule from year to year.  I'm thinking a schedule consisting of Styrian Goldings, Tettnang, and Saaz will get you in the ballpark.

The dark color, and dark fruit aroma and flavor comes from a dark candi syrup that they use.  I'm going to try D2 when I attempt my clone.

And of course, you'll want to use Westmalle's yeast strain, Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:14 am »
And of course, you'll want to use Westmalle's yeast strain, Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast.

Probably on the lower end of ferm temp range, right? 65-68F-ish?

I haven't had this beer in awhile, but I do love it... I thought i remembered it being more spicy/phenolic than estery
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline egghead

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »

Probably on the lower end of ferm temp range, right? 65-68F-ish?
You're correct.  Westmalle does not allow their fermentation to go above 68F.  Although they do bottle condition a bit warmer - up to 74F.

Westvleteren also uses this yeast, but they allow the fermentation temperature go much higher.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »
If I remember correctly BLAM has some good info for a Westmalle recipe.  I like to use Belgian Candy Syrup.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Belgian-Candi-Syrup-D.html

It will get you close to the Westmalle flavor.  I also like to use WLP550, but be careful with it because when it ferments with a vegeance.
Ron Price