Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 2746 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
coffee
« on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:35 am »
Planning on a coffee vanilla porter (12 gallon batch) next week. Planning on dry beaning in the secondary. Is this the consensus nowadays? How much coffee per 5 gallons? How long to leave it in the secondary.

I'm not a huge fan of coffee beers because they keep me awake at night ;) But I have some requests so thought I'd fill 'em.

(PS: I have a fantastic coffee roaster within a half mile from me.)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: coffee
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:26:46 am »
I use 1/2 to 1 lb of beans, roughly cracked, in my canister (in the keg) until I like the flavor then pull it. So for me it's not so much an exact amount as leaving 'em in there until I like flavor. Closer to a lb gets me to the threshold quicker.

EDIT  -  Usually the amount of time is tied to the intensity of the coffee beans. Columbian beans, several days, espresso beans, only a few.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:30:35 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 10:34:22 am »
I use 4-5 oz. of coarsely cracked beans in the fermenter for 4-7 days and add strong coffee to taste at packaging.  May be a bit difficult for you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 10:46:22 am »
I'm with Denny on the amount of beans, but I've added them in the keg.  Pulled when I like the taste, approximately a week.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:11 am »
I still like to cold brew, but taking a step out of the process is appealing. These days nicer grocery stores will have pre-made cold brew. Some are really good. I like the flavor of cold brew personally.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 11:02:20 am »
I use 4-5 oz. of coarsely cracked beans in the fermenter for 4-7 days and add strong coffee to taste at packaging.  May be a bit difficult for you.

Wow. That's downright insulting.

It's for a 12 gallon batch. ;)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 11:17:04 am »

Wow. That's downright insulting.

It's for a 12 gallon batch. ;)

Well, that's different!  I thought you were gonna do something like 7 barrels!  No insult intended, just pragmatism!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
coffee
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 11:30:38 am »
7 bbls? You think I'm that small? How insulting! :)

I remember you talking about that method before. Gonna give it a shot.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:33:18 am »
I know on my next coffee stout I'm going to use Starbucks VIA instant.  Quick, easy, good flavor.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:28 pm »
I still like to cold brew, but taking a step out of the process is appealing. These days nicer grocery stores will have pre-made cold brew. Some are really good. I like the flavor of cold brew personally.
I do cold brew as well. Add it at kegging. Usually about a pint worth of strong cold brew.

Keith, see if they have a good decaf roast. I use a good decaf bean for my coffee beers so I can drink it at night and not be kept awake, because, I too, have had that issue.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 07:33:46 pm »
I do cold brew as well. Add it at kegging. Usually about a pint worth of strong cold brew.

Keith, see if they have a good decaf roast. I use a good decaf bean for my coffee beers so I can drink it at night and not be kept awake, because, I too, have had that issue.

Come to think of it the do have a good decaf. This is a "why didn't I think of that" moment!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 07:44:57 pm »
I use good decaf beans too. A wide awake drunk night or two made it seem like a good idea  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 05:04:08 pm »
Planning on a coffee vanilla porter (12 gallon batch) next week. Planning on dry beaning in the secondary. Is this the consensus nowadays? How much coffee per 5 gallons? How long to leave it in the secondary.

I'm not a huge fan of coffee beers because they keep me awake at night ;) But I have some requests so thought I'd fill 'em.

(PS: I have a fantastic coffee roaster within a half mile from me.)

Yes in secondary.

I've used up to 1/2 lb in 5 gal batch. Whole beans work well. Time will be determined by your desired level of coffee flavor. Sample often and package once flavor is to your liking. 1-5 days is normal.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 09:15:47 pm »
Agree with this amount and time.  It usually goes 7 days, but is coffee bean specific.  Brew one every winter
Jeff B

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »
Did this beer get brewed?  I had an Imp Stout at lunch today that was pretty good.  Little too much coffee, still nice.  Cherry and coffee, liked it more than I thought I would.
Jeff B