Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: hops for kolsch 'style' ale  (Read 9230 times)

Offline lonelymtn

• 1st Kit
Re: hops for kolsch 'style' ale
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:53 am »

mostly pils. some breweries do use a pinch of wheat and some probably use some munich or kolsch malt.

Gaffel uses a pinch of Wheat and might be one of my favorites.  According to a book I have on Kolsch style, however, wheat is not considered "normal" for the style.

I still like it

Offline lonelymtn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 11:58:28 am »
I use 2565 because my preference edges towards Wyeast. I have heard that WLP029 drops clear faster.
I blended the two, turned out quite nice.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 12:02:56 pm »
Preference on WLP029 or WY2565?  May split the batch and try both.

Both make fine kolsch style beers. The beer in my avatar is a kolsch made with WLP029 - very easy to get to drop clear (with a little fining). WY2565 has a bit more chardonnay like character while the WLP029 leans slightly more to an apple with chardonnay notes, though a bit more subtle.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »
Preference on WLP029 or WY2565?  May split the batch and try both.

Both make fine kolsch style beers. The beer in my avatar is a kolsch made with WLP029 - very easy to get to drop clear (with a little fining). WY2565 has a bit more chardonnay like character while the WLP029 leans slightly more to an apple with chardonnay notes, though a bit more subtle.

Yeah, I'm not sure what that's about. None of the Kölsch I had tasted like WY2565. I wonder if that's an old-timey thing or something.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 12:40:54 pm »

mostly pils. some breweries do use a pinch of wheat and some probably use some munich or kolsch malt.

Gaffel uses a pinch of Wheat and might be one of my favorites.  According to a book I have on Kolsch style, however, wheat is not considered "normal" for the style.

I still like it

i feel like ray daniels mentions that same point, but then goes on to describe how frequently it was used amongst second round finalists.  it may not be "true to style", but it must certainly make a good one!