Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Broken thermometer in Wort  (Read 3916 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Broken thermometer in Wort
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:21:31 pm »
How soon do you normally start noticing signs of contamination? And is the only real way to tell by taste?

Tasting is the best way.  Sourness is a good clue, but don't confuse this with yeasty flavors of young green beer. 
Having a very low final gravity is a sign.  A thin white film (pellicle) on the surface of the beer is another sign.  A beer that just will not clear may be from infection, but not always.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 01:19:56 pm »
So if I crack the lid at the 1, 2 and 3 week marks to take a look and taste - and then if still okay bottle and taste again, that should be a good way to determine whether or not its contaminated right?  I know it's not exact but from what I've read contaminated beer should be fairly obvious when tasting? 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 02:05:07 pm »
So if I crack the lid at the 1, 2 and 3 week marks to take a look and taste - and then if still okay bottle and taste again, that should be a good way to determine whether or not its contaminated right?  I know it's not exact but from what I've read contaminated beer should be fairly obvious when tasting?

maybe maybe not. the yeast are going to be out competing the bacteria at first. it's only when all the easily metabolized sugars are exhausted and the yeast go dormant that the other, less particular organisms will begin to really show themselves. That being said, it could happen fairly quickly and it will be obvious.

just remember, if you get to a finish (stable gravity) and bottle that contamination could still take hold in the bottle and some organisms will create co2 while they work just like yeast. that can cause bottles to explode eventually so monitor and refrigerate after the desired level of carbonation is achieved.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »
would it better once I get a stable gravity, to wait before bottling? keep an eye on it?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »

would it better once I get a stable gravity, to wait before bottling? keep an eye on it?

Yes, don't bottle until you know it is done. Most will measure once it appears to be done and again a few days later. If the number matches, it's done.

Offline james_cornell

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 02:55:41 pm »
I meant more, after I've taken a couple matching readings, letting it sit for a week more or so before bottling to see if after the yeast goes dormant other organisms don't show themselves, like morticaixavier said they might.

Im assuming you get stable gravity once the yeast is dormant right?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
I meant more, after I've taken a couple matching readings, letting it sit for a week more or so before bottling to see if after the yeast goes dormant other organisms don't show themselves, like morticaixavier said they might.

Im assuming you get stable gravity once the yeast is dormant right?

Yep. In some cases it can take longer for an infection to show. Honestly, I'm betting you are a-ok