Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Airlock blow out  (Read 5393 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Airlock blow out
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 03:09:03 pm »
I'm actually lucky enough that SWMBO spends way more money on me than herself. The closet is in a spare room that no one goes to and has a fan so it's actually one of the coolest places in the house. I've been doing a trial run with the tub and frozen water bottles and will go with that this time, but I may not have to worry too much. We've had a crazy unusual cool front come in that shows no signs of leaving, and the closet has been sitting at a nice 67* for about a week. Thanks for all the help everybody.

That's still on the edge of too warm. the fermentation will bring the temp up 5-10 degrees so the wort at height of activity will be in the mid to upper 70's which is pretty warm.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
Re: Airlock blow out
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2014, 07:54:47 am »
Yesterday I had the great fortune to find a perfectly working chest freezer and am now ready to set up a ferm chamber. Since I was able to get the freezer so cheap I would really like to get a dual temp temperature controller, mainly because the freezer will stay in the garage. I saw this one on Northern Brewer. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/thermostar-dual-mode-digital-temperature-controller.html
I was also thinking about the Ranco 211000, but if this does the same thing I'd get the cheaper one. Does anyone have experience with the ThermoStar? Or what do y'all use?