Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Starter measurements  (Read 3425 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Yeast Starter measurements
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:03:56 am »
I'm planning on starting a yeast starter today for a Tuesday 5 gallon brew day. I've read varying instructions online about the amount of water to DME ratio used in the starter. Some people even listed started with a smaller starter and building up to a bigger one.

Any clarification would be helpful. I should mention the yeast is a Yeast Bay vial.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:09:40 am by FLbrewer »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Yeast Starter measurements
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 06:15:32 am »
Stir plate or old school?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 06:16:30 am »
For yeast starters, I use 150g DME in 1500ml water. Boil. Cool. Then into a 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask. After 18-24 hours, put in refrigerator, then decant, pour yeast into fermenter.

I don't step up my starters.
Ralph R.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:19:31 am »
I'm planning on starting a yeast starter today for a Tuesday 5 gallon brew day. I've read varying instructions online about the amount of water to DME ratio used in the starter. Some people even listed started with a smaller starter and building up to a bigger one.

Any clarification would be helpful. I should mention the yeast is a Yeast Bay vial.

use a starter calc-mr. malty, brewersfriend, etc. plug in your OG and yeast date etc. i prefer starter wort to be about 1.030-1.032 max. depending on your OG, one step may be fine or two step (higher gravity and lagers).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:22:33 am by wort-h.o.g. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 06:20:47 am »
No stir plate.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:44:47 am »
For a first starter, easy peasy

Bring two quarts water to a boiler, add 5 oz  DME (light is best but any will work) 

After hot break shut it down, chill it to 70ish. Pour it in a sanitized gallon jug. Shake the snot out of it. Add your yeast and put some tin foil over the top.

All you are looking for is growth, so she's done in about 18-24 hrs. Pop it in the fridge to drop the yeast out of suspension. Decant the clear stuff and pitch the rest on brew day.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 06:47:52 am »
For a first starter, easy peasy

Bring two quarts water to a boiler, add 5 oz  DME (light is best but any will work) 

After hot break shut it down, chill it to 70ish. Pour it in a sanitized gallon jug. Shake the snot out of it. Add your yeast and put some tin foil over the top.

All you are looking for is growth, so she's done in about 18-24 hrs. Pop it in the fridge to drop the yeast out of suspension. Decant the clear stuff and pitch the rest on brew day.

ok the only thing i will say is 5oz is arbitrary considering we dont know OG, est startinng yeast count and target pitch rate. i'd run the calc and follow it for best results IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:53 am »
5oz in 2 qts will end up about 1500-1600ml after boiling. So about 1.030-1.035. Unless we do a viable cell count on his specific tube of yeast, it's all arbitrary. I agree with your point. My suggestion is just a simplified way to get started with starters. I have a hunch it just might work.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:04:25 am by klickitat jim »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 07:04:27 am »
5oz in 2 its will end up about 1500-1600ml after boiling. So about 1.030-1.035. Unless we do a viable cell count on his specific tube of yeast, it's all arbitrary. I agree with your point. My suggestion is just a simplified way to get started with starters. I have a hunch it just might work.

understood. i guess we have no info here-ale,lager,OG,est yeast starting cell count, etc.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11:08 am »
I'll check Mr Malty and the OG. Jim, it's out of the fridge for a day or two, then into the fridge until brew day?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 07:15:01 am »
Ya, you really don't gain much by letting it ferment out like making beer. You just want a bunch of healthy new babies. And it doesn't have to sit in the fridge more than 6 or 8 hrs to settle out. Depends on the strain I suppose. But a few days in the fridge won't hurt it.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 06:03:42 am »
How important is maintaining the starter temp? It's sitting around 70 now, didn't want to bother keeping the flask in a water bath or anything over the 24 hours.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 06:07:28 am »
How important is maintaining the starter temp? It's sitting around 70 now, didn't want to bother keeping the flask in a water bath or anything over the 24 hours.

thats fine. i make all my starters at room temp so about 70-72F and they rise a few degrees during activity. warm environment is good for yeast growth, regardless of the yeast ideal fermentation temp-thats intended for making beer and you're making a starter.

id focus on OG-like i said earlier 1.030.1.032 is a nice low stress environment for growth IMO.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Henielma

• Cellarman
    • Henielma
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 06:30:37 am »

The needed time for a starter is also depending of the room temperature. It is not needed to control the temperature for a starter.

Last time I made a starter I used my CO2 production sensor system. In the following screenshot you can see the temperature rise of the starter during its time on the stir plate.

The light yellow curve is the ambient temperature and the red curve is the temperature of the 1 liter starter. You can see the rising of the temperature from 22 degrees C to 25 degrees C. (In the beginning this sensor was on the ground)

The purple curve is the CO2 production in time. When the production of the CO2 of the starter decreases I placed the starter into the fridge. A few days later I used the starter and the yeast was in very good condition because the CO2 production of that badge started in 4 hours.
Automated mashing and fermentation is not so strange