Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing Aging Beer  (Read 2077 times)

Offline HomeBrewAnswers

• 1st Kit
Storing Aging Beer
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:30:28 am »
What are the best styles to age?
How long is long enough/too long?
What temperature?
Humidity?

Thanks!

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Storing Aging Beer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
1.  Barley wines, wee heavies, big Belgians.
2.  As long as you want
3.  Cellar temperature (upper 40s to low 60s°F)
4.  Huh?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:19:19 am »
what chumley said except

1. also sour beers and brett beers
4. unless it's corked humidity doesn't matter as long as it's not so humid the cap starts to rust.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
I would add Imperial Stouts to that as well.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:33:05 am »
I know ya'll will squeal a bit...but I might include IIPA as a potential to that list.

Sure fresh is awesome, but I kid you not, a well aged strong IIPA coupled with a fresh keg dryhop is not to be sneezed at.

:-X

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:20 am »
I know ya'll will squeal a bit...but I might include IIPA as a potential to that list.

Sure fresh is awesome, but I kid you not, a well aged strong IIPA coupled with a fresh keg dryhop is not to be sneezed at.

You'll hear no sqealing from me. I like to set aside a dozen or so bottles of IIPA for future consumption. I really like a Big Foot Barleywine grainbill in my IIPA as well.
Kyle M.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 10:56:18 am »

You'll hear no sqealing from me. I like to set aside a dozen or so bottles of IIPA for future consumption. I really like a Big Foot Barleywine grainbill in my IIPA as well.

I've long said that an IIPA, after a year or so turns into an American barley wine. The fresh keg hops idea is intriguing though. if only I had enough kegs that I could set one aside for a year.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:02:41 am »

I've long said that an IIPA, after a year or so turns into an American barley wine.

I agree it does. Which is why I like IIPAs fresh. I can see a dry hop in the keg reviving the hop character some. I've just always felt that if you ferment cool enough (ie., no hot fusel-y character) it needs to be consumed fairly quickly, to get the hops at their peak. I'm sure it'd be good with a fresh round of dry hops though.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 11:35:42 am »

I've long said that an IIPA, after a year or so turns into an American barley wine.

I agree it does. Which is why I like IIPAs fresh. I can see a dry hop in the keg reviving the hop character some. I've just always felt that if you ferment cool enough (ie., no hot fusel-y character) it needs to be consumed fairly quickly, to get the hops at their peak. I'm sure it'd be good with a fresh round of dry hops though.
And frankly, a well-fermented American Barleywine is excellent fresh as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 11:39:21 am »

Yeah I cellar some Bigfoot every year, but it's always pretty stellar fresh.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 12:29:58 pm »

Yeah I cellar some Bigfoot every year, but it's always pretty stellar fresh.

agreed! I try to get three four packs, one for drinking, one for tasting in the first couple years and one for leaving alone till I get a wild hair and do a vertical tasting
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »
Pretty much the same thing I do with Bigfoot. Occasionally the cellared stuff doesn't last as many years as I intend !  I've had a few verticals over the years though.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 07:04:13 pm »
I got a case of big foot at an auction.  It will wait and be added to over the years.  Not my favorite beer, but it was a good price and a good cause and I'm looking forward to the aging.

I'd add old ales to the aging list.  And pretty much any big barrel aged beer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 07:16:01 am »
For me, aging beer tends to make it smoother and more complex (probably because I seem to be able to taste more of the subtleties in aged beer as the aggressive notes diminish). Given this, I look to bigger beers with some "roughness" for aging - all of the examples previously given match that criteria more or less. I especially like to age beers that have been in wooden spirits barrels (bourbon, rum, rye etc) to let those aggressive flavors smooth out. And you don't normally see "small" beers aged in wood to begin with.

As to how long, that depends on the beer and your preferences. I think it's best to put away several bottles of the same beer and then taste them over the months/years (more quickly for the "smaller" ones), so you can taste the progress of the aging process. You're also less likely to "over-age" that way, too. Temperature plays a big part in the timing of aging; as I recall chemical processes tend to double in speed for every increase of 10 degrees C or 18 F, so beers will age more quickly with warmer ambient temps. But I'd guess that, so long as the storage temps aren't extreme or variable, anything between maybe 50F to 75F or so should be OK.