Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: crystal or caramel  (Read 1535 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
crystal or caramel
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:52:39 am »
I have seen recipes posted which will state say crystal 60L or caramel 60L. Are these manufacturer specific?
As long as I get 60L and I good?
Thanks,

Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
crystal or caramel
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 10:09:49 am »
This was discussed recently.

tl;dr - they are different but kinda the same

Thread. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=20648
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:11:35 am by Steve in TX »

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: crystal or caramel
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 10:11:59 am »
I always thought they were the same malt, I believe English companies are more likely to say Crystal and American Caramel

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »
Crystal and caramel malts are very slightly different but generally interchangeable.  If you can ever find a store that sells more than one brand of them (good luck) then just chew up a couple of kernels each and figure out which one you'd rather brew with, as they won't taste exactly the same and you might like one better than the other.  But beyond that... I guess personally I don't really care about the scientific process differences in making them.  Taste is all that really matters.  No?

Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »
Crystal and caramel malts are very slightly different but generally interchangeable.  If you can ever find a store that sells more than one brand of them (good luck) then just chew up a couple of kernels each and figure out which one you'd rather brew with, as they won't taste exactly the same and you might like one better than the other.  But beyond that... I guess personally I don't really care about the scientific process differences in making them.  Taste is all that really matters.  No?

Cheers.

^^^^^^  Yep.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:31:11 pm »

Cheers.
Can I get a Hell Yeah!? +a bunch
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 08:18:03 am »
In case you're interested, there was an article in the November, 2013 Brew Your Own entitled 'Is it Crystal Or Caramel Malt' by Terry Foster and Bob Hansen.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.