Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP644 - Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois Starter  (Read 1121 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
WLP644 - Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois Starter
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:02:27 am »
When I first bought the White Labs tube I was surprised at how little yeast there was. Thus, I plan on making a lower OG starter based on my assumption; there is a much smaller cell count in WLP644 (correct me if I'm wrong).  I realize the significance of not stressing out yeast by making too high or low of an OG. Would it make sense to start with a 1.5L starter at 1.025?  And should I step it up, similar to a lager? 

Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: WLP644 - Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 12:19:57 pm »
You are right, they put WAY less yeast in those vials.  I have heard that it is because they assume you are going to use Brett in a secondary fermentation.

I'm no expert - I have brewed one 100% Brett batch with this yeast.  It turned out OK.  I read that under-pitching this will stress the yeast which will get it to produce its unique flavor esters.  So I wouldn't go too big.  Also I learned that when you the starter is done, don't put it in the fridge - leave it at room temp until you are ready to use it.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton