Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What to read  (Read 5340 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What to read
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 11:05:16 pm »
Dan brown's books are so much better than the Hanks movies. I guess that's true most of the time, but especially with these
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 07:42:28 am »
Dan brown's books are so much better than the Hanks movies. I guess that's true most of the time, but especially with these
+1 - I don't read a lot of fiction, but this whole series is a good read. Movies weren't that bad, but books were a lot better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline el_capitan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:52 pm »
Im a big fan of James and the Giant Peach
And the book was way better than the movie

+1.  Roald Dahl is pretty cracked.  If you can find his collected short stories, buy it.  Definitely a twisted mind.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »
Im a big fan of James and the Giant Peach
And the book was way better than the movie

+1.  Roald Dahl is pretty cracked.  If you can find his collected short stories, buy it.  Definitely a twisted mind.

+2 "Lamb to the Slaughter" is one of the best short stories ever.
Kyle M.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »
forget all that spy stuff. you should read everything Douglas Adams wrote, then everything Terry Pratchett wrote, then everything Neal Gaiman wrote. If you want something more 'serious' hit Asimov up. The Foundation series has all the intrigue and spy story stuff one could want and it's effing brilliant.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »
forget all that spy stuff. you should read everything Douglas Adams wrote, then everything Terry Pratchett wrote, then everything Neal Gaiman wrote. If you want something more 'serious' hit Asimov up. The Foundation series has all the intrigue and spy story stuff one could want and it's effing brilliant.

You and my wife would get along well.  She's currently rereading everything Terry Pratchett wrote.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 03:51:20 pm »

You and my wife would get along well.  She's currently rereading everything Terry Pratchett wrote.

he's brilliant and hilarious.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:25 pm »
Henning Mankell's Wallander series.  Anything by Roddy Doyle.  For light reading, Faulkner and Styron.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 04:18:00 pm »

Thanks for the info!

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »
Henning Mankell's Wallander series.  Anything by Roddy Doyle.  For light reading, Faulkner and Styron.

Heh.

We should get together with some fine whiskey and homebrew and discuss these writers. Good stuff. Also, Mark Twain is always great, and you can pick him up anytime.
Kyle M.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 05:56:28 pm »

Heh.

We should get together with some fine whiskey and homebrew and discuss these writers. Good stuff. Also, Mark Twain is always great, and you can pick him up anytime.

I'll drive south. You drive north. Meet in Kankakee

Cigars with that whiskey?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 06:16:10 pm »
I would also add anything by Graham Greene and anything by Cormac McCarthy.  Blood Meridian is phenomenal.  The Road bothered me for ages.  Still does.  All The Pretty Horses is great, despite the movie. 

Avoid D.H. Lawrence.  I labored for most of the summer with The Plumed Serpent.  I gave up.  Not a proud moment, but I only have so much time.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »

Heh.

I'll drive south. You drive north. Meet in Kankakee

Cigars with that whiskey?

Sounds good to me!
Kyle M.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 07:42:30 pm »

Heh.

When I think of drinking and reading, Hemingway immediately comes to mind. Not everybody's cup of tea, though.

Speaking of Faulkner, I promised myself back in high school that I'd reread The Sound and the Fury when I got older. Still haven't gotten around to that.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 07:50:41 pm »
I would also add anything by Graham Greene and anything by Cormac McCarthy.  Blood Meridian is phenomenal.  The Road bothered me for ages.  Still does.  All The Pretty Horses is great, despite the movie. 

Avoid D.H. Lawrence.  I labored for most of the summer with The Plumed Serpent.  I gave up.  Not a proud moment, but I only have so much time.
Cormac McCarthy writes books that haunt me too, but are so rewarding to read. I only got have way through the last border trilogy book bracause as the wife says, "ain't going to have a happy ending".

I also read all of Edward Abbey's stuff when I was knocking around the Canyons and lousy stinking desert in the 90s.

If anyone is into the Southwest, Craig Childs has some excellent books.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!