Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Prime Dose Use feedback?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline mbarnaby

• Cellarman
Prime Dose Use feedback?
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
I've been brewing for a couple of years and recently started doing some big beers (barley wine 12.31% and RIS 11.00%).  With that being said I over looked the need to pitch additional yeast with my priming sugar.  Needless to say when I went to try them there was no carbonation.  I have read some good reviews about prime dose capsules for this exact purpose.  my questions is should I use less then the recommended amount since there is unconsumed sugar from when I bottled.  I know I can experiment with different amounts of capsules but I was wondering if anyone has any real life experience with this.  I did them as 2.5 gallon batches and would hate to experiment with four of bottles.  I would hate to see there great tasting (flat) beers turn into gushers. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Prime Dose Use feedback?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:56:32 pm »
no experience here but I would consider just using fresh yeast instead of the prime dose if there is already sugar present. I like champagne yeast for this purpose as it will not ferment any of the residual sugars the primary yeast left behind but it is alcohol and pH tolerant.

A couple grains in each bottle dosed with a tweezers, or re-hydrated and dosed with a syringe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
Re: Prime Dose Use feedback?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »
I've been brewing for a couple of years and recently started doing some big beers (barley wine 12.31% and RIS 11.00%).  With that being said I over looked the need to pitch additional yeast with my priming sugar.  Needless to say when I went to try them there was no carbonation.  I have read some good reviews about prime dose capsules for this exact purpose.  my questions is should I use less then the recommended amount since there is unconsumed sugar from when I bottled.  I know I can experiment with different amounts of capsules but I was wondering if anyone has any real life experience with this.  I did them as 2.5 gallon batches and would hate to experiment with four of bottles.  I would hate to see there great tasting (flat) beers turn into gushers.

here is a link to a previous review:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=21427.0
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com