Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: kegging newbie question  (Read 1820 times)

Offline timcolussi

• 1st Kit
kegging newbie question
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:20:53 pm »
I'm thinking about starting to keg my beer but had a couple of questions. First I was wondering what size CO2 cylinder most people get? I've seen 5 LB and 10 LB. I was thinking 5 LB just for space and ease of handling but was wondering how long a typical 5 LB cylinder would last.

My second question deals with bottle filling from a keg. I want to still be able to bottle beer for competitions and to take to parties, etc. I've seen 3 different things for bottle filling from kegs. One is the beer gun from Blichmann. The others are 2 different counter pressure bottle fillers, one from Keg Connection and one from More Beer. I was wondering what people used and which would be best? I'm thinking about going counter pressure but not sure which system works best.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Tim

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: kegging newbie question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »
For tanks, 5lb is pretty standard and a good place to start.  I have 5, 15 and 20lb tanks.  And a set up for paint ball CO2.  For me, the price to fill 5, 10 and 15 is the same.  20lb costs more to fill.

To fill bottles, I use a piece of racking cane and a drilled stopper.  I think it's a number two stopper.  Jam the cane into a picnic tap, push it into the bottle so the stopper seals, start filling, burp the stopper to release pressure as necessary.  If I'm bottling for competition or long term storage, I will flush the bottles with CO2 from a second tank (or a split line) using a pneumatic air gun and a hose.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »
Go with a bigger tank if you can afford it money and space-wise.  I'd even suggest getting a 5lb tank too so when the big one runs out on a Sunday afternoon when everyone is closed, you're not stuck.

I have a Blichmann beer gun, which is great but sucks for just filling a couple bottles.  For that I have a growler filler that fits in my Perlick tap. I then hit to headspace with a little CO2 before capping and it's good to go. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:44:09 pm »
I like the carbonator http://morebeer.com/products/carbonator-cap.html for filling soda bottles for parties.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:58:32 pm »
I fill bottles the same way Joe does, this link explains it well: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

For parties I use growlers and fill them with the same hose the Dark Side referenced, just be sure to chill the growler and drop the psi or you'll get quite a bit of foam, same thing when filling bottles regardless of what you use.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:00:33 pm »
I'm thinking about starting to keg my beer but had a couple of questions. First I was wondering what size CO2 cylinder most people get? I've seen 5 LB and 10 LB. I was thinking 5 LB just for space and ease of handling but was wondering how long a typical 5 LB cylinder would last.

My second question deals with bottle filling from a keg. I want to still be able to bottle beer for competitions and to take to parties, etc. I've seen 3 different things for bottle filling from kegs. One is the beer gun from Blichmann. The others are 2 different counter pressure bottle fillers, one from Keg Connection and one from More Beer. I was wondering what people used and which would be best? I'm thinking about going counter pressure but not sure which system works best.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Tim

5 lbs are standard but will run out fast if you brew often... maybe only last for 3 or 4 kegged batches. i own a 20 lb and it well worth it if you have the space will last for around 10 batches. i think i pay like $48 to get it filled. but the deposit cost on the tank is much higher than a 5 lb.
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline mattybrass

• Assistant Brewer
  • Another round please!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:12 am »
my 5 # tank usually lasts me 8-10 kegs.