Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Healthy Beer  (Read 4651 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Healthy Beer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:37:31 am »
I'm surprised no one has yet suggested proper pitching rates and fermentation temps for "healthy beer"!  :D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 11:04:35 am »
I really can't find the motivation to try making my beer healthy. If I want something healthy I'll eat an apple or an orange. When it comes to beer I'll stick to my favorite IPA.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:40:01 pm »
I had kombucha once in Eugene. It was yucky.

If it's not made WITH additional ingredients then I think you're drinking it strictly for it's health benefits. I had a ginger blueberry one, and while the first sip is an almost unpleasant surprise - it grows on you. Sour, bit of fruit, fizzy, and finishes with a bite. Much like a blueberry flavored ginger ale with a shot of vinegar in it. I'd drink it again.

There were additional ingredients.  A friend of my wife's was making and bottling the stuff to sell.  I didn't care for it at all.  He is, however, in the right town to succeed w/ his venture.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 05:24:27 am »
I really can't find the motivation to try making my beer healthy. If I want something healthy I'll eat an apple or an orange. When it comes to beer I'll stick to my favorite IPA.  ;)

+1
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 05:32:26 am »
Beer isn't really all that unhealthy in moderation and can be part of a complete breakfast. Seriously, beer in excess is bad for you. But two or three beers a day is way better for you that two or three soda drinks. Being active and eating "sensibly" is the key to good health. A little beer fits in that lifestyle very nicely.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:15 pm »
Beer isn't really all that unhealthy in moderation and can be part of a complete breakfast. Seriously, beer in excess is bad for you. But two or three beers a day is way better for you that two or three soda drinks. Being active and eating "sensibly" is the key to good health. A little beer fits in that lifestyle very nicely.

+1

Everything in moderation is key.
Ron Price