Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA Water profile  (Read 17324 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
Re: IPA Water profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:35 am »
Juicy??

Apparently this word is an obligatory descriptor for all hoppy beers now. Last night I read a description of a saison that used "juicy" or some derivative eight times that described the aroma, flavor and mouthfeel all as "juicy". Drives me insane.

Good thing the 2014 style guides are finalized yet. Theres still time to get Juicy in there.

"Low to moderate juiciness in examples that have no peat smoked malt"

Don't forget crushable and dank!

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 05:08:45 am »
I haven't got to the point where im testing my water yet but I want to. What kind of tests or kits are you guys using? It seems like the kits are pretty pricy.
Jimmykx250

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:35 am »
I haven't got to the point where im testing my water yet but I want to. What kind of tests or kits are you guys using? It seems like the kits are pretty pricy.
Many of us have used this lab. Test W6.
http://wardlab.com/FeeSchedule/WardLabs_FeeSchedule_Web.pdf#page=10
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »

Try calling your water supplier, unless of course you have well water.  Then Ward as above.

I spoke with Mitch Steele at the NHC in Philly and he said that he shoots for 160 Calcium in his IPAs and doesn't care about sulfate at all.

Just another variable.  Personally I shoot for both.  ~300 Sulfate and ~160 Calcium.

Dave
Dave Zach