Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: simple blonde recipe help  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
simple blonde recipe help
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:53:00 pm »
86% two row
7% honey malt
7% wheat

14 g Centennial 60 min
14 g Centennial 10 min

US05

Anyone have any advice on how to improve this? I am hoping to keep it simple and possibly just change the grain amounts. It is pretty decent but has something to it I can't quite put my finger on. There is a malty sweetness from the honey malt but I can't tell if that is what is throwing it off. Maybe it is the quality of my ingredients? I may just not like the style as much anymore...

For next attempt I am thinking dialing the honey malt down a bit, switching to pilsner malt, and doing something more like this

85% pilsner
10% wheat
5% honey malt
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: simple blonde recipe help
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:19:57 pm »
For next attempt I am thinking dialing the honey malt down a bit, switching to pilsner malt, and doing something more like this

85% pilsner
10% wheat
5% honey malt

Bingo!  That's just about exactly what I was going to recommend... add pilsner malt, and use a little less honey malt.  Perfect.  You're on the right track.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: simple blonde recipe help
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:57:37 pm »
That is good to hear.

I just had one and it is pretty good but definitely needs some work. I have just started treating my water so I can probably make some improvements there as well. This is normally a spring/summer beer where I use lime zest and lemongrass in the secondary. That version is pretty solid and I think hides some of the imperfections. I am glad I decided to brew the base beer so I could judge it independently.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale