Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Flavor Bible  (Read 2363 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
The Flavor Bible
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:00:50 am »
I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to cook creatively. Its also going to come in handy for brewing, meadmaking, and cocktails. http://www.amazon.com/The-Flavor-Bible-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400
I'm the type of cook that rarely uses recipes. I keep a well stocked pantry, buy what looks fresh or pick/ forage in season then create something from there. The Flavor Bible isn't a cookbook, its mostly a huge list of ingredients in alphebetical order, including beer, wine, and spirits, that for each ingredient shows other ingredients that go well with it. The authors spent years surveying respected chefs and use bold typ and caps to show pairings that are suggested the most often. I got it last week for my birthday and for the kind of cooking I do its a godsend. When I can't think of what to do with something I look it up and have a long list of what works well for flavors with that ingredinet and it really gets my creativity going. I used it yesterday to come up with an amazing Valentine's meal, including a cocktail. I can't wait to use it to develope beer and mead recipes.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: The Flavor Bible
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:41 am »
I got it recently myself for the same reasons. Most of the time I'm throwing stuff together in my kitchen "Iron Chef" style, and this looks like it's going to be a fantastic reference.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 01:50:06 pm »
I love that book.  Had it on my iPad for a year or so.  I reference it primarily to coordinate hop flavors.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 01:53:02 pm »
I have it too. Don't really use it actively for cooking, but I browse in it regularly just for fun, and let the ideas sink down to my culinary subconsciousnessdom.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 02:35:51 pm »
I have it too. Don't really use it actively for cooking, but I browse in it regularly just for fun, and let the ideas sink down to my culinary subconsciousnessdom.
Yea, I do that with cookbooks in general. Pour a beer or glass of scotch and browse through a great cookbook on the couch in the evening= relaxation.
EDIT: and late night snacking...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 02:45:54 pm by pete b »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 04:49:25 pm »
Yea, I do that with cookbooks in general. Pour a beer or glass of scotch and browse through a great cookbook on the couch in the evening= relaxation.
I could use a night like that. Good beer, good cheese, and flipping through the Flavor Bible during commercials while watching Good Eats reruns.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 05:50:07 pm »
I also have it. Good reference book.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:45 pm »
I could use a night like that. Good beer, good cheese, and flipping through the Flavor Bible during commercials while watching Good Eats reruns.
Do it! There's not much better you can do for you and those you care about than taking care of yourself like that.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 07:50:36 am »
Do it! There's not much better you can do for you and those you care about than taking care of yourself like that.
^^^^^Had a few homebrews last night. Sober Pete simply says stress reduction is good for you.