Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New to kegging  (Read 3979 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: New to kegging
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 09:20:10 am »
I have a few pinlock kegs and the lids have a relief valve. They do not have a ring to pull, you need some kind of special tool to push down the relief valve. I think some of the keg merchants sell the tools to open the valve. I don't have any of the tools so I'm not sure what they cost but you are fine using the gas post as a relief valve.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:07 pm »
Unless you are contemplating the prebuilt systems, you need either worm gear clamps or petit er clamps and the oetiker clamp pliers.  Too obvious, maybe but the connections need to be made.  I would also opt for barrel swivels and male threaded QDC's rather than barbed fittings.  (I like to be able to easily break it all down for cleaning and sanitizing.). Finally I use nylon gaskets in the barrel swivels to minimize leaks.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »
Unless you are contemplating the prebuilt systems, you need either worm gear clamps or petit er clamps and the oetiker clamp pliers.  Too obvious, maybe but the connections need to be made.  I would also opt for barrel swivels and male threaded QDC's rather than barbed fittings.  (I like to be able to easily break it all down for cleaning and sanitizing.). Finally I use nylon gaskets in the barrel swivels to minimize leaks.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline AnimALE

• Cellarman
  • Beer i go again on my own
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 02:02:14 pm »
Dont forget to grab yourself some replacement O ring kits, keg lube..it will prevent a head ache
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:04:49 pm by AnimALE »

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 09:10:33 am »
Hello all,

I am in the same boat as the OP. I have been looking a good deal on a regulator and have been having a hard time finding that good deal. Anyone know where to look? The best I have found was on kegoutlet for a kit that came withe everything you needed but a keg and co2 tank.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 09:20:21 am »
Regulators run about $50 for a tap rite. MoreBeer sells a fermentap, their house brand, for $45. Gone are the days of the $30-35 regulator.

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 08:01:35 pm »
Just received my regulator in the mail. Tomorrow I am getting the co2 tank filled and this weekend will rack my saison to the keg and hopefully all will go well.

I imagine this kegging thing will turn into an obsession. As long as I don't drink it all in a week and get fat, which may happen.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »

I imagine this kegging thing will turn into an obsession. As long as I don't drink it all in a week and get fat, which may happen.
That is certainly a risk.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 01:11:42 am »
Reading this thread reminded me... so I just ordered two Perlick 630SS faucets. Hoping they are the schnizzel

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 05:51:08 am »
Reading this thread reminded me... so I just ordered two Perlick 630SS faucets. Hoping they are the schnizzel

Oh they are. I have 3 myself. Way superior.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2014, 06:36:18 am »
Good to know. I almost got the ones with volume control but I'm a fan of least moving parts

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 06:58:06 am »
Good to know. I almost got the ones with volume control but I'm a fan of least moving parts

Mine don't have the volume control. Perlick says that theirs are machined really smooth for a good pour and that's no joke. The crap chrome ones I was using poured rough and, of course, stuck if I didn't pour every three days. I love the Perlick.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 07:17:47 am »
Sweet

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 09:10:23 am »
The other aspect of an inexpensive regulator is quality.  I recently had to replace my regulator because it was leaking.  I bought a no-name one from the LHBS to save $20.  It is now in the trash and I went back to the one I know works well: http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642-2.html

And it has been working well ever since.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:24 am »
I am going with flow control very soon. I hate when I bleed pressure from a keg to fill a growler and the lid looses it's seat. It sucks most of all when the keg is getting low and I disturb all the gunk at the bottom trying to seat it again.