I'm starting a 10 BBL brewery, and have a few questions about hop contracts.
1. Did you sign a 5 year contract?
2. How big is your brew house, and hop many pounds do you contract per year?
3. By what % did you increase your hop demand each year?
We have 3 bbl opening this year. We have lots of contracts. Some big some small some 1 year others 3 or 5 years. In the end there are ways to get rid of what you dont need or want.
1. Sign a 5 year on the hops you absolutely must have to make the beers you want
2. 3 bbl system. I bought 500 + lbs of spot hops then contracted 11# up to 100# on other verities for 3-5 years out. Plus a bunch of other stuff in low qty to experiment with.
3. 10-15% but depends on what you are brewing or if you plan to expand or add tanks. Then it could be higher...
My advice: Contract what you need for sure what you can't live w/o. There are a lot of spot hops and breweries who will sell/trade if you need something you can't or didn't contract for. Make friends w/ other local brewers see what they have on Hand and I bet they are long on a few varieties.