Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Darkening the beer  (Read 2254 times)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
Darkening the beer
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »
Can you darken a beer without affecting gravity or flavor?  I ask this because I wanted to brew a bock that comes in at 18 SRM, but I was really hoping to take it to 22-25 SRM.  This is the bock recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. 

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Darkening the beer
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:24:41 pm »
You could cold steep the dark grains, add the dark grains late in the mash, or use sinamar.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 09:03:54 pm »
Sinamar is probably the best way.

Alternatively you could figure out how much D-180 Extra Dark Belgian Candi Syrup you would have to use to get your SRMs up... probably about 3/4 lb for 5 gallons or something like that.  Then from there, calculate exactly how much water to mix it with to hit exactly your original original gravity, then add it and let it ferment out.  This will impact flavor a little bit, but in nothing but a good way I would think.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 04:35:21 am »
Getting the beer darker will be easy using either Sinmar or carafa special (I, II or II). For the malt cold steep will help you achieve color but with minimizing the roast character pick up. By far Sinmar is the easiest way to go.

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:33 am »
How much sinamar would I put in?  If I did the Sinamar how would I know how much to put in to get an extra 4-6 SRM?  Also, how would the cold steep work?  Would I have to cold steep the sinamar?  Would I have to cold steep all of the partial mash grains?  Would I have to only add the cold steeped liquid late in the boil?  Thanks for all the help!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:20:52 am »
How much sinamar would I put in?  If I did the Sinamar how would I know how much to put in to get an extra 4-6 SRM?  Also, how would the cold steep work?  Would I have to cold steep the sinamar?  Would I have to cold steep all of the partial mash grains?  Would I have to only add the cold steeped liquid late in the boil?  Thanks for all the help!

sinamar is a liquid extract of carafa malt. there are directions on the container I think and i beleive it's included in the database in beersmith, possibly other calculators as well.

if you go cold steep you only steep the dark grains and add the liquor to the boil. mini mash at mash temps so ~155f.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 09:48:44 am »

You put in as much as you need to get the color you want.  That's the beauty of sinamar.  I add some to the kettle pull a sample and look at it, and adjust as needed.  The cold streep refers to steeping grain to make your own Sinamr like extract.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:05:56 pm »
At 550 Lovibond Briess' Midnight Wheat will definitely adjust your color with minimal alteration to the flavor. You can add it late in the mash if you're concerned at all about any flavor coming through..

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_MidnightWheatMalt.pdf
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 12:16:04 pm »
At 550 Lovibond Briess' Midnight Wheat will definitely adjust your color with minimal alteration to the flavor. You can add it late in the mash if you're concerned at all about any flavor coming through..

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_MidnightWheatMalt.pdf

been using that a lot the last few years.  I like it a lot.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 12:39:21 pm »
+2 for Midnight Wheat. Plenty of color, very mild roast.
Jon H.